Gearheads, what are you wishing for/looking forward to most?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
guitfnky

21 Feb 2015

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the constant cycle of desire for that new piece of gear. This is my current obsession: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EC1000ETBLK

The thought of only needing to tune a guitar when restringing it is incredibly appealing to me.

What piece of kit are you currently dreaming of getting? hardware, software, instruments, or accessories... It's always interesting to see what other people are looking forward to. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Gaja

21 Feb 2015

I might actually get this baby here:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S3CS
But it remains to be seen...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

trimph1

21 Feb 2015

Moog 55...
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

guitfnky

21 Feb 2015

That Protools control surface looks badass. I've not used PT, but that would be a fun little piece of gear to use for sure.

I had to look up what a Moog 55 is (I'm not really a keyboardist). I can't even formulate the words to respond to that... :oops: Haha!

Last Alternative

21 Feb 2015

Shure sm7b, a preamp, and better Sennheiser headphones.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

guitfnky

21 Feb 2015

Any particular pre you're looking at (or price range)?  I have an Art MPA Gold, which I don't think they make anymore, but it's a really nice pre I got for a really nice price.  I imagine their other pres are similarly good and affordable (if price is at all an issue for you, I don't really know).

Love your sig, by the way.  "Give music life", so we can give life music!   :)

-008'

21 Feb 2015

guitfnky wrote:I'm sure most of us are familiar with the constant cycle of desire for that new piece of gear. This is my current obsession: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EC1000ETBLK The thought of only needing to tune a guitar when restringing it is incredibly appealing to me. What piece of kit are you currently dreaming of getting? hardware, software, instruments, or accessories... It's always interesting to see what other people are looking forward to. :)
As a guitar player i have to comment on this. I dont know if its the guy playing... or this:
Note: This guitar features the EverTune bridge system and is set up to not respond to note bending. To learn more about adjusting the EverTune bridge for note bending, watch the video below or contact your Sales Engineer.

...or both, but that guitar playing in the vid sounds like it had the soul sucked out of it. Obviously he is a terrific player, and playing with the bridge configured for note bending... but the bends sound really weak...not very bendy at all. Is it just me imagining things? Or is it just "correcting" him too much? Probably a case of me not understanding it fully yet..

The parts where he does this disturbs me for some reason.

The guy says "it can hold its tuning perfectly for days or even weeks." My $350 Epiphone already does that. :?   OK, maybe not weeks...but definitely days.

I know it sounds like I am knocking it it, :s0717:  but really im just very curious! (and im always skeptic, to a fault.)  Either way, it is very interesting so I do thank you for sharing it guitfunky! And hey, the tech can only get better from here so, thats cool! Seems more desirable than those robot-tuning-gibson ones...IDK

So... The only gear im lusting after right now are cheap, small sound boxes. Volcas, Thunderclap, etc.. probably because that's all i can currently afford. lol
Attachments
yall55.gif
yall55.gif (522.82 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2015

-008' wrote:The parts where he does this disturbs me for some reason.

I think it is wonderful. I can now use a chair to play my guitar. Picks just don't cut it for me but till now anything heavier pulls the instrument out of tune. If it as good as they say then I can upgrade to using concrete planters as plectrum without needing a new guitar for every strum, which gets so tiring on stage.  :s0230:

I think what we will see with this is the divide we see between digital accurate / analog slop aficionados. Out of the guitarists in the vid I recognize, like Joe Satriani, they all seem very "technical". It solves a problem but creates another.

To answer the main post Q: I find that when I start lusting for a new toy it is simply that I am frustrated in my creativity. The instruments (and related tools) I get the most value, and longevity, from are those that fit a valid need.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

reason2dance

21 Feb 2015

-008' wrote:The guy says "it can hold its tuning perfectly for days or even weeks." My $350 Epiphone already does that. :?   OK, maybe not weeks...but definitely days.
That's right. I've just exchanged a genuine bone nut for a Graphtech BLACK TUSQ XL nut on a Strat and the resulting improvement regarding tuning stability is amazing. Also a small drop of silicone oil on certain spots with string contact can do wonders.

I'd never install such a chunky part on any of my guitars. Because to my mind there are simply aesthetical aspects, especially with vintage or in general iconic guitars.

guitfnky

22 Feb 2015

-008' wrote: As a guitar player i have to comment on this. I dont know if its the guy playing... or this:
Note: This guitar features the EverTune bridge system and is set up to not respond to note bending. To learn more about adjusting the EverTune bridge for note bending, watch the video below or contact your Sales Engineer.
-008' wrote:

-008' wrote:...or both, but that guitar playing in the vid sounds like it had the soul sucked out of it. Obviously he is a terrific player, and playing with the bridge configured for note bending... but the bends sound really weak...not very bendy at all. Is it just me imagining things? Or is it just "correcting" him too much? Probably a case of me not understanding it fully yet..
I think that is very poorly-worded on their site.  What they mean (I'm sure, based on the other research I've been doing on the system) is that out of the box, it will be set up so that it will arrive to your house in tune, but without tweaking the tuning knobs, it won't respond to note bending.  It's actually sort of hard to describe in text, it seems, haha!  Here's another video that's a bit longer, but I think does a pretty good job of explaining how it works, because you definitely can still do bends with it:

-008' wrote: The parts where he does this disturbs me for some reason.

Me too, honestly.  I've seen that demo in several videos and I always cringe.
-008' wrote:The guy says "it can hold its tuning perfectly for days or even weeks." My $350 Epiphone already does that. :?   OK, maybe not weeks...but definitely days.

I know it sounds like I am knocking it it, :s0717:  but really im just very curious! (and im always skeptic, to a fault.)  Either way, it is very interesting so I do thank you for sharing it guitfunky! And hey, the tech can only get better from here so, thats cool! Seems more desirable than those robot-tuning-gibson ones...IDK
I know how you feel, since the guitars I already have already stay very consistently tuned.  The cool thing (one of many, IMO) about this is that if you've got temperature/humidity changes or whatever, it's not going to throw your guitar out of tune.  It will literally be pitch perfect every time.  And if, for whatever reason it isn't, getting it back to pitch is still way quicker than standard tuning, due to the physics of the thing.
-008' wrote: So... The only gear im lusting after right now are cheap, small sound boxes. Volcas, Thunderclap, etc.. probably because that's all i can currently afford. lol
That's still cool though!  I would love to get one or two of the Volcas at some point.  What is the Thunderclap?

trimph1

22 Feb 2015

....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

guitfnky

22 Feb 2015

yeesh, I can barely handle my four-string bass!  that is awesome.  great player, too.

gullum

23 Feb 2015

I'm excited about the Beatstep Pro I have a trigger finger Pro but it does not sync very well with Reason or any other DAW, so kind of hoping for it to do a better job. I have also been thinking about getting Tremol-no for 2 of my guitars.

aisling

24 Feb 2015

Building my first real pedalboard, looking forward to the 2015 new pedaltrain lineup.

Nymphomation

16 Mar 2015

Waiting to see the Electribe ESX2 (the sampler one) will be any good. Can't seem to find any reviews of it, though apparently it is out. I'm a fan of the ESX, I have the big red one, but it is A) Big and B) has shite fx

KaliKush84

18 Mar 2015

i really looking forward to the http://www.warmaudio.com/products/eqp-w ... equalizer/ i love all of warm audio products tb12 is killer,very versatile microphone pre amp

Gaja

24 Apr 2015

guitfnky wrote:That Protools control surface looks badass. I've not used PT, but that would be a fun little piece of gear to use for sure.

I had to look up what a Moog 55 is (I'm not really a keyboardist). I can't even formulate the words to respond to that... :oops: Haha!
So actually I bought the S3, but I'm going to resell it. Avid is not i terested in making this work with anything that doesn't feature native EUCON support. So basically it's a useless piece of junk until you use it with protools or anything featuring EUCON. So in case anyone wants to get it for use with Reason - don't do it, you'll waste 5000€ on a volume knob.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

JNeffLind

24 Apr 2015

Just need to buy a lottery ticket and this thing is mine for sure...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... tar?pfm=sp

Or if I'm really dreaming, a custom Lowden classical. Seven strings. Rosewood and Koa probably. No electronics. Just pure sweet tone...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:I might actually get this baby here: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S3CS But it remains to be seen...
5000 USD
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You could buy a pair of  BCF2000 and a Car with the change!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:So actually I bought the S3, but I'm going to resell it. Avid is not i terested in making this work with anything that doesn't feature native EUCON support. So basically it's a useless piece of junk until you use it with protools or anything featuring EUCON. So in case anyone wants to get it for use with Reason - don't do it, you'll waste 5000€ on a volume knob.
Chiet!

Can you see if it works in Mackie MCU Mode? Reason is compatible with Mackie.
Can you change it? Man, you could even go for a pair of Mackies! 

Oh and have you seen the new Behringer X32, they are great controllers too! 

Gaja

24 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:So actually I bought the S3, but I'm going to resell it. Avid is not i terested in making this work with anything that doesn't feature native EUCON support. So basically it's a useless piece of junk until you use it with protools or anything featuring EUCON. So in case anyone wants to get it for use with Reason - don't do it, you'll waste 5000€ on a volume knob.
mcatalao wrote:
Chiet!

Can you see if it works in Mackie MCU Mode? Reason is compatible with Mackie.
Can you change it? Man, you could even go for a pair of Mackies! 

Oh and have you seen the new Behringer X32, they are great controllers too! 
The thing is that for the post production work you can't bypass ProTools. So I need something that works flawlessly in ProTools as well as Reason.
Avid "implemented" mackie control, but it is unusable. On tue duc they publicly explained that they don't think it's their fault that other DAWs don't feature eucon, so it obviously isn't teir job to implement more than "basic" mackie support. (And basic is basically a totally screwed up and chaotic mess you do not want to deal with) I know that mackie works well with Reason, because V-control works nicely with mackie control and I hear other manufacturers implement it quite nicely. We were looking into the S3 to substitute a C|24 which is a volume knob outside of ProTools, but a quite nice controller inside of it. Since music and therefore also the work with Reason is not our bread and butter (or rather, it is a sidequest) we'll keep the C|24, sell the S3 and probably get a Nektar P4 or P6. I really hope Nektar are looking into a controller with eight motorfaders, which I'd probably get immediately...
The x32 does look interesting indeed, I'll research it a bit.
Maybe I'll just get the old SSL Avant into the music studio and mix with that... Although I don't actually want to do that.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

mcatalao
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2015

I have 2 BCF2000. I guess it will feel gruesome to you if you change to those, but tbh, i have them tested and working FLAWLESSLY with reason...
:)

I'd really like to put my hands on a X32 and try it with reason though! Those things are beautiful. I don't have any problems with the B word so... 

Anyway, the x32 is too expensive for me anyway!

CharlyCharlzz

27 Apr 2015

My Dream :
1) a super fat Professional mixer SSL and various racks in it to EQ , LIMIT , COMPRESS etc.......
2) a King Korg , MS-20 Rack kit  , a classic Moog rack synth  some Aira Stuff like the drum machine and the FX 500 (maybe a few modular blocks) a all bunch of lewit & blue mics  .
3) a 20'000 dollars PC
4) a isolated studio with cabines
5) a new arturia soundcard
6) All THE RE's & R8.2 , maybe Cubase latest version and all the classic vst's
7) some kind of rack wall structure to place all the synth's , samplers and fx .

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

freeQlow

27 Apr 2015

PreSonus CS18AI StudioLive RM Mix Controller

Looks pretty bada$$$$$

But it says Studio One 3 Surface Control Update Q3 2015
So an update to their DAW?
and
This thing wont work til Q3, so release Q3??
and
Will it work Rewired into the SSL inside Reason?

freeQlow

27 Apr 2015

gullum wrote:I'm excited about the Beatstep Pro I have a trigger finger Pro but it does not sync very well with Reason or any other DAW, so kind of hoping for it to do a better job. I have also been thinking about getting Tremol-no for 2 of my guitars.
Plan on getting one of these too!

• Information