Forum Feature: Latest Topics

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
eusti

11 Feb 2015

I just noticed the "latest topics" tab instead of the "latest posts" one...
(not sure if the second one was really called that!)
Could we please have the "latest posts" one back?
I don't see why we need a latest topics one as that seems to be basically the same as just going through the different sub-forums... If people need this, can we please re-add the "latest posts" tab again!

Thanks!

D. 

Lunesis

11 Feb 2015

I didn't change anything.. not sure what happened tbh. Looks like it still shows the most recent posts to me.

eusti

11 Feb 2015

You might be right... It just shows 12 pages of stuff, while before it just showed the few threads that had new posts in them...

D.

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

Cool!  This is actually something I was going to suggest, but didn't want to overwhelm Brent with suggestions :)  

The New Posts before would disappear once you had 'viewed' them (seen them).  

This however shows all the topics in order of activity. Similar function, but always showing the list with the latest activity at the top.

Works much better IMO.

eusti

11 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:Cool!  This is actually something I was going to suggest, but didn't want to overwhelm Brent with suggestions :)  

This however shows all the topics in order of activity. Similar function, but always showing the list with the latest activity at the top.

Works much better IMO.

Mmmh... I liked the other one better... Was very quick to see if there was anything I wanted to read or follow up on...

D.

joeyluck

11 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:Cool!  This is actually something I was going to suggest, but didn't want to overwhelm Brent with suggestions :)  

Works much better IMO.
eusti wrote:

Mmmh... I liked the other one better... Was very quick to see if there was anything I wanted to read or follow up on...

D.
For me the other one would sometimes not show things that I haven't seen...  So I would miss things.

am0eba

11 Feb 2015

Definitely prefer the "New Posts" option to the "Latest Topics"… As someone pointed out already, what showed up as just a few individual threads on the "New Posts" list, now takes up 12 pages!

"New Posts" seemed pretty reliable to me, and I always used it.

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

eusti

11 Feb 2015

I can see Joey's point, but am happy that there is someone else who supports the old version. ;)

D.

QVprod

11 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:But is it not the same thing?  If you just look at the first few entries...
Agreed Joey. Works like the PUF did. I would always miss stuff as well. I'd click on "New Posts" and sometimes only see one result. With this new way all recently posted in threads are on page 1 and you can read how long it's been since the last post in a thread. This way is way better.

tiker01

12 Feb 2015

Yeah I have always used the New posts button. Possibly we could have New Topics and New posts too?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

normen

12 Feb 2015

I had the new posts one bookmarked, now it takes me to the search page and says I should enter some search terms, so something definitely did change.

Lunesis

12 Feb 2015

I will take a look and see if I can mess with it. Still am not sure of the difference though.. it shows the most recent posts, if you look at the timestamps to the right.

eusti

12 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:I will take a look and see if I can mess with it. Still am not sure of the difference though.. it shows the most recent posts, if you look at the timestamps to the right.
I don't quite see why this is needed. If one wanted a behavior like this one could just click on the different sub-forums... Yes, ok, one would need to go to those sub-forums to do so; it would take a bit longer...

The old behavior was cleaner... Only showed the new topics/ posts since the last visit... The new way shows always tons of stuff... Then I need to figure out again if I want to interact with it or not...

It's not that important, but for me the old way was clearly better.

D.

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2015

YMMV.

The only difference is that this one just shows you all posts ordered by date, whereas the old one showed you all posts ordered by date but limited filtered to only include the most recent.

For me this is an improvement as it provides the same information as last time and also allows me to see other posts I might not have cared to click on the last time I visited :)

joeyluck

12 Feb 2015

Again, with the old "new posts" I would constantly miss stuff.  Even replies to threads I started wouldn't show up.  It was definitely flawed on my end...

• Information