Does anyone think you spend to much time in your (music hobby) studio/home studio?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Kategra

11 Feb 2015

Part of my friends don't understand how can I take a week off work and stay home (not traveling for the sake of traveling as of than as they do).

I make music in Reason, I practice guitar, I wirte lyrics, record etc. Also play PC games (less and less). I also go out to movies, club, socializing. Also 1 or 2 small vacations/gateaways per year - either local or abroad.

When I told them that I stayed at home and worked on a song, they where looking at me like I'm a freak;Also because I invested thousands of euros in my music hobby and don't spend more of that  on traveling abroad.
I'm like WTF, I have a hobby, I like to create stuff - I don't judge you for not creating anything and just spend all your money on traveling to distant places around the world for the sake of traveling and then be miserable when you come back to work.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people think that traveling abroad it's the ultimate experience one must get more and more off. Like: What do you like to do? "I like traveling and ...not much more".

I like traveling, but I like to create even more. I am passionate about music. That is why lots of money went to audio gear and software, not travel.

Do your have enough money to make music and travel enough so you are in line with your travel for the sake of travel friends?

Ecopro

11 Feb 2015

I wouldn't care what my friends have to say about my personal life. If I want to stay home and make music as my vacation (which I've done plenty of times), then that is my prerogative. While it is fun and adventurous to go see the world, most of the time, it is very expensive, and the trips could turn into a big PITA. 

There are many pros and cons about this, but I don't blame you for staying home to make some music. When I go out of the country with my family, I always leave some extra days to be at home anyway. I need some rest from the trip and I need some music and movie time for myself before going back to work.
Guts Electronic Mayhem

forensickbeats

11 Feb 2015

Attachments
1469740_780128525337873_1592538159_n.jpg
1469740_780128525337873_1592538159_n.jpg (121.29 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2015

Did Michaelangelo spend too much time painting?

CharlyCharlzz

11 Feb 2015

I don't spend time , I take time :D

but yes i do not do the things I should and keep my head on synth's way too much !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Rice

11 Feb 2015

forensickbeats wrote:Image 
Yes, sometimes this is I... :D

tt_lab

11 Feb 2015

That's me too
The few years I've been making music have been going out less and less...now I almost don't see my friends anymore.
Only the ones that make music too.
I feel more realized than going out to a club or something. And I have more time to read too.

Jagwah

11 Feb 2015

Kategra wrote:I like traveling, but I like to create even more. I am passionate about music. That is why lots of money went to audio gear and software, not travel.
That's great man. Our time is more important than most people realize, what we do with that time is of utmost importance. I find being creative is one of my most favourite things and it is what I am passionate about, doing it musically and in the awesomeness of Reason is unbeatable. It's your time, your choices, as long as you don't shut people out to the point of becoming like a stranger I think you should go ahead and do what you most want to do with your time and don't succumb to the pressure of others. Just because they enjoy something it doesn't mean you have to as well, just like you probably don't go around pressuring people to make music. 

I definitely don't have the travelling bug, I don't really get it. I went on a big holiday a few years back, it was very expensive, and everyone in our group was super excited including me but at the end of the day I found sliding down a snowy mountain on a board repeatedly to not be worth the money.. or excitement. From that experience I learnt that if I'm going to outlay the money for a big holiday I would be far better off going somewhere that interests me particularly, rather than a group choice.  

cpetersus

12 Feb 2015

Your time is your time. The only thing you may consider is balance.
:PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :reason: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :refill: :re: Chris Peters -> Richmond, VA Reason 8 - MacMini (2012) i7 2.6 Quad Core w/10G Presonus AudioBox1818 -Alesis QX49 - Akai MPD26 - Presonus Monitor Station 2

Higor

12 Feb 2015

I was thinking about it these days and came to the conclusion that Reason is my karma. Not only that, but the music. Since I'm fifteen I can hardly think of anything else - besides women, of course. I'd probably be better off without any of that but free will is questionable. In the end it all comes down to exchange a karma by other, then, what does it matter? It seems that it is not you who chooses these things but them who chooses you.
I've heard an interesting phrase these days: You can do whatever you want the only thing you can't do is to choose what you want. :s0959:

BPGeez

12 Feb 2015

forensickbeats wrote:Image 
Hahahaha!!! Gorgeous
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

Last Alternative

12 Feb 2015

I often find myself ignoring everyone and everything. It's selfish but I'd rather work on my mixing research and practice mixing right so I can release my fucking debut album already!!! It's really bad. I'd say 90% of me time is music related and the other 10% with my girlfriend and friends. My gf and I go on vacation at least once a year for about a week- cruise or to another state. That's enough for me. For about a month now I've been spending almost every day working on my brother's house to prepare for tenants which is really cutting into my deadline of Halloween this year. So is being here on ReasonTalk :frown: Now--- back to my wine & music. :t0305:

By the way that picture is hilarious! Gonna share it with my buddy who turned me onto Reason.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

X1Lo

13 Feb 2015

I s love the movies when US makes Russian (btw very nice Russian actors) look cool & lame atsm
From my experience the people I have known in Ohio(my home state in U.S.) have a perception of Russian people as being tough and cool.  Politically people are very polarized, but the consistent remarks I hear are that Russian people are strong, crazy mother effers haha.  I know this is just social stereotypes, but it is funny to hear people I know say these things.

As for the thread, I sometimes wonder if I do spend to much time using, and studying Reason.  I absolutely love synth programming, but I feel like it isolates me because I don't have anyone to personally relate to.  There have been times when I have literally spent 20 hours straight working on synth programming(excluding cigarette breaks).  My friends may not understand, but it is truly what I love to do.
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

Ixus

13 Feb 2015

Most of my friends have a musical interest in one way or another so I've never heard any comments like that. Heck sometimes a friend comes over and we record and sketch out ideas for an entire day.
When it comes to buying and selling guitars though, i can get comments hehe. "do you really need another? But you have several guitars already" :)

Carnstein

14 Feb 2015

I think I've been going the other direction lately. I've been spending less time making music and more time with friends/coworkers or just wandering around the city. In return I've felt that when I do sit down to do music the time I spend doing it is more fruitful and fulfilling. I was getting to the point where I would look around at gear and think about how I missed experiences just to acquire more audio gear when I already have a lot more than I need.
Hello!

trimph1

14 Feb 2015

Being a studio hermit is not for the weak!!!

My wife tends to look at me with pity.... :s0106: :s0717: :s0403:
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Lol, even I now can't comprehend what I posted there above! :) Hence edited a bit!
You mean you were drunk? :t0305: (Не позорь Родину, брателло :) )

• Information