ReasonTalk Donations Incentives.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Theo.M

10 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Theo when on Skype pls confirm a request I have a few q's for ya! :)
Sorry mate I barely ever log in to skype, only when i specifically want to call a mate OS, and just saw this but can do so now and accept. You can always facebook me mate.. i check that once everyday or so, the little message box thing, and you can PM me here any time :)

Theo.M

10 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:mm I noticed a couple of non admin special names.... so obviously the admin do it by their choice for no particular reason and what ever they feel like calling us? Not a huge deal, but I was surprised a bit.
Lunesis wrote: Only one is Joey Luck because he created the domain name and designed the logo.
You are right I thought I saw two but the other was admin and it didn't click till now sorry, duh.. jiggery and joeyluck.. ok so joey is the only one, got it. So because he did something he did get preferential treatment though yes? Just to be completely honest and fair here..How is that different from people contributing financially to your site?

Lunesis

10 Feb 2015

How about I just remove it?

jonheal

10 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:How about I just remove it?
Long-term, Brent, if this site has actual costs, you're going to need reliable income. And that probably means subscriptions or ads.

I say run ads, and to those who have a hard time stomaching that idea, I say GET OVER IT.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Jagwah

10 Feb 2015

I'd be cool with ads too, I actually never look at them ever so there's that, but whatever you guys have to do so the forum isn't compromised I say go for it.

selig
RE Developer

10 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:mm I noticed a couple of non admin special names.... so obviously the admin do it by their choice for no particular reason and what ever they feel like calling us? Not a huge deal, but I was surprised a bit.
Lunesis wrote: Only one is Joey Luck because he created the domain name and designed the logo.
Theo.M wrote:
You are right I thought I saw two but the other was admin and it didn't click till now sorry, duh.. jiggery and joeyluck.. ok so joey is the only one, got it. So because he did something he did get preferential treatment though yes? Just to be completely honest and fair here..How is that different from people contributing financially to your site?
I'm guessing it's because he is "technically" on the admin team from the beginning, he just didn't want admin responsibilities. Though I'm not sure I would compare someone receiving a "custom title" with "preferential treatment" myself. ;)

By that same token, I'm getting preferential treatment for something I'm doing here - are these special titles going to be a problem for us going forward?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Lunesis

10 Feb 2015

I have already removed it and nobody besides the mods will have custom titles.

jonheal

10 Feb 2015

Jagwah wrote:I'd be cool with ads too, I actually never look at them ever so there's that, but whatever you guys have to do so the forum isn't compromised I say go for it.

Targeted ads aren't so bad. I don't mind looking at pictures of audio interfaces. :)

Even if it does mean that Google is in my personal biznuss. :sneaky:

Ostermilk

10 Feb 2015

Here we have the internet in microcosm.

Somebody says you can have a means of unlimited communication with each other with total freedom, you can choose to donate to stuff you think is worthwhile to help keep it going.

The masses respond "Oh man, I can't handle that, I'll have to think for myself, I won't be able to cope with others thinking for themselves.  Please somebody buy up the internet so I can subscribe to those little parts of it that I can deal with, plaster it all with commerce and/or charge me money so my existence is justified."

btw how much do I have to donate in order to ban certain individuals and have editorial control over what anybody else writes?... :s0106:

Poor ol' Joey has lost his title now and I thought it suited him so well.  And what for?

The mods have a simple request for voluntary donations up, I have every confidence that they know what they are doing so what is it with everyone on the 'advise' commitee telling 'em they've somehow got it all wrong?

Just donate or don't that's all that is being asked of anyone just now.

jonheal

10 Feb 2015

I didn't mean to elect myself to an advice committee. :frown: But even Brent admitted he doesn't know how much the site will cost, so an open-ended quiet appeal donations sounds risky to me.

But, I will shut up now. :)

Ostermilk

10 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:I didn't mean to elect myself to an advice committee. :frown: But even Brent admitted he doesn't know how much the site will cost, so an open-ended quiet appeal donations sounds risky to me.

But, I will shut up now. :)
LOL, I wasn't directing my comments at anyone specifically Jon.

It's just that I feel the reason this site took off where nobody else's did (despite one of them being openly offered financial backing in return for some control) simply because most people had faith in who was going to be behind this one.  I know it was what brought me here.

Seriously all that's being asked at the moment are voluntary contributions if you feel like donating, I'm sure the fine administrators will make amendments to that requirement if it ever becomes necessary.

Certainly though some individuals going around and acting like Billy Bigballs just because they've thrown a chunk of cash in the pot is a surefire way of prematurely killing off a community in rapid order.

Lunesis

10 Feb 2015

I'm going to lock this because I am not taking suggestions on ads or donation incentives. If you want to donate and help me out with the costs, that is fine, but it will remain anonymous so that it does not create a political situation. Thank you.

joeyluck

10 Feb 2015

I will always treasure the time I spent with my fancy title :)
Haha!

Theo, I do believe there is a difference in helping by naming the site, buying a nice domain name, helping with the logo, helping spearhead an initiative to spread the word in the PUF, etc without asking for anything in advance or in return ;)  I knew the importance of securing a good name and domain as the PUF was nearing close. I just wanted this forum to be a huge success.

I believed in this forum and Brent and the admin team from the beginning. I did ask to be on the admin, but they already had things covered. I didn't want to be an admin for the title; I genuinely wanted to lend a hand in any way I could. Just do things for the forum and this community because you want to. We don't need to motivate people with silly titles.

Go team ReasonTalk!

• Information