"We smell sausage…" Sound On Sound Magazine interview with Mark Mothersbaugh

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
am0eba

02 Feb 2015

Title sez it all...

http://vimeo.com/118046581

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Olivier

02 Feb 2015

Cheers :D
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

MarkTarlton

02 Feb 2015

that.. was... AWESOME!

MarkTarlton

02 Feb 2015

by the way...it works!

we smell sausage sounds like jesus loves you in reverse! just tried it out :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

02 Feb 2015

I kept having to pause the video to play "WTF is that synth?"

That's some cool gear, now I'm feeling horny, and I'm right out of Kleenex.

selig
RE Developer

02 Feb 2015

I TOTALLY relate to his comment about wanting to be 18 again with today's technology. If I even had Garageband in my teens I would have been in absolute freaking heaven. My upright piano and reel to reel could hardly contain my ideas at that time…
;(
Selig Audio, LLC

phasys

03 Feb 2015

selig wrote:I TOTALLY relate to his comment about wanting to be 18 again with today's technology. If I even had Garageband in my teens I would have been in absolute freaking heaven. My upright piano and reel to reel could hardly contain my ideas at that time…
;(
I'm not so sure about that myself, selig. My limitations in hardware forced me to be creative. 

selig
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

selig wrote:I TOTALLY relate to his comment about wanting to be 18 again with today's technology. If I even had Garageband in my teens I would have been in absolute freaking heaven. My upright piano and reel to reel could hardly contain my ideas at that time…
;(
phasys wrote:
I'm not so sure about that myself, selig. My limitations in hardware forced me to be creative. 
Me too, and as a very general statement I would agree - but having only a piano and a reel to reel also made many simple things quite impossible. Simple things like adding a drum track, a string line, a repeat delay, etc. You know, the basics.
More than anything what it prohibited was exploration in arrangements, which has always been at the core of everything I've done musically speaking. That's where my thoughts have always been from a young age, asking musical questions such as what does it sound like with a counter melody here? What if the drums went to half time for the bridge? Do strings and flutes "double" well? What does this bass line sound like with this drum pattern?

One of my favorites quotes:
Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

A musical reference was made in 1950 by Roger Sessions:
I also remember a remark of Albert Einstein, which certainly applies to music. He said, in effect, that everything should be as simple as it can be but not simpler!

Having only a piano and reel to reel is "simpler" IMO.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

ionly

04 Feb 2015

"We smell sausage..."

Indeed I cackled extremely loud at that one.

Cheers for the link.
:D

Some Desperate Glory

05 Feb 2015

;(
I don't know about that.  I think we old folks feel that way because of our background.  A sort of reverse nostalgia, maybe.  

We kind of anchor our expectations in our youth.  If you were a teenager today you would think the absolute abundance of almost free (and in some cases free) high-quality musical tools is just a given.  No big whoop.

I'm sure that there were plenty of people blown away when the Korg M1 came out and were thinking "I would go crazy if that if I were 18 again... doing an entire production inside the keyboard... absolute freaking heaven!".  No the M1 feels like a stone-age tool.

I think that's because kids today have never had the joy of overdubbing on their 4-track reel-to-reel.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

;(
Some Desperate Glory wrote:
I don't know about that.  I think we old folks feel that way because of our background.  A sort of reverse nostalgia, maybe.  

We kind of anchor our expectations in our youth.  If you were a teenager today you would think the absolute abundance of almost free (and in some cases free) high-quality musical tools is just a given.  No big whoop.

I'm sure that there were plenty of people blown away when the Korg M1 came out and were thinking "I would go crazy if that if I were 18 again... doing an entire production inside the keyboard... absolute freaking heaven!".  No the M1 feels like a stone-age tool.

I think that's because kids today have never had the joy of overdubbing on their 4-track reel-to-reel.
I never had that joy as a kid either - would have LOVED to have had a four track reel to reel just so I could simply hear two or three parts played together. I'm not talking about some sort of super technology here - a four track cassette deck would have been WORN OUT by my teenage self. An M1 would have been overkill! ;)

In other words, all I wanted was what was already available at the time (a four track reel to reel, for example). I didn't mean to imply that something as sophisticated as garageband would have been required at all! I just choose that as an example because it's free and something that any kid with a mac already has!   :)
Selig Audio, LLC

ionly

05 Feb 2015

Some years back, I met someone who owned an M1. He used to give "concerts" at his house; even had invites printed, etc. They often consisted of a select group of local musos seated in his living room, facing front, whilst the delusional Mr N would bore everyone catatonic with his one note "soundscapes". He seemed to be under some spell that he was the next Brian Eno.  

Ironically, I grabbed one from Ebay very cheap about 5 yrs ago. I tolerated it for a week.

• Information