OT: just saw Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson at the Detroit Opera House

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EnochLight

29 Jan 2015

Incredible person - he's like the Tony Robbins of science (minus the $480 million net worth).  He made a lot of great points and truly made me weep for the present state of science in the US.  

Anyone else catch his Cosmos redux last year?

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

JNeffLind

29 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:Incredible person - he's like the Tony Robbins of science (minus the $480 million net worth).  He made a lot of great points and truly made me weep for the present state of science in the US.  

Anyone else catch his Cosmos redux last year?

He's awesome. Perhaps a little known fact, he was a bad-ass wrestler in college and despite having aged a bit, can probably still kick a fair amount of ass. High level grappling strength (back, legs, grip) doesn't disappear and it's invaluable in any physical confrontation. Don't mess with NGT!

EnochLight

29 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:He's awesome. Perhaps a little known fact, he was a bad-ass wrestler in college and despite having aged a bit, can probably still kick a fair amount of ass. High level grappling strength (back, legs, grip) doesn't disappear and it's invaluable in any physical confrontation. Don't mess with NGT!
Heheh - I didn't know that actually, nice.  Between him and Buzz Aldrin (who punched a guy in the face who claimed the moon landings were a hoax, calling him a coward and a liar), I think we have a good defense from ignorance.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptn5RE2I-k
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

29 Jan 2015

OK, just HAVE to post this - actually thought it was real for the first few seconds, but is hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAmJwYenIs
Selig Audio, LLC

Olivier

29 Jan 2015

selig wrote:OK, just HAVE to post this - actually thought it was real for the first few seconds, but is hilarious!
Thanks for this man... I needed that :D
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

EnochLight

29 Jan 2015

selig wrote:OK, just HAVE to post this - actually thought it was real for the first few seconds, but is hilarious!
Hah!  Brilliant!

MarkTarlton

29 Jan 2015

that was freaking hilarious selig! haha :D

Tre Trelos

29 Jan 2015

Buzz is cool, Tyson is a tool. I've heard him disparage philosophers and medical doctors.
Tyson is the used car salesmen of science.

Julibee

29 Jan 2015

Tre Trelos wrote:Buzz is cool, Tyson is a tool. I've heard him disparage philosophers and medical doctors.

If he gets the yahoos to learn something about science, I'll happily buy his cars. Wife of a real, live Philosopher, btw.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Tre Trelos

29 Jan 2015

Tre Trelos wrote:Buzz is cool, Tyson is a tool. I've heard him disparage philosophers and medical doctors.

Julibee wrote: If he gets the yahoos to learn something about science, I'll happily buy his cars. Wife of a real, live Philosopher, btw.
The man is a pompous ass, he's just like Dr. Phil.

I bet his wife wasn't thrilled with his put down.

JNeffLind

29 Jan 2015

As someone whose mom and brother are both MDs, I've met a ton of them and I can assure you there are some idiotic MDs. There are good ones and bad ones, just like there are good and bad teachers, good and bad plumbers, good and bad musicians. I'm sure the same is true of philosophers. If you're trying to tell me that Tyson said all MDs are worthless (or whatever you meant by disparage) I'm going to have to call BS until you provide a source. 

Julibee

29 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote: If he gets the yahoos to learn something about science, I'll happily buy his cars. Wife of a real, live Philosopher, btw.
Tre Trelos wrote:
The man is a pompous ass, he's just like Dr. Phil.

I bet his wife wasn't thrilled with his put down.
I actually meant that *I* am the wife of a philosopher. We watched Cosmos together. :)

Gaja

30 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
As someone whose mom and brother are both MDs, I've met a ton of them and I can assure you there are some idiotic MDs. There are good ones and bad ones, just like there are good and bad teachers, good and bad plumbers, good and bad musicians. I'm sure the same is true of philosophers. If you're trying to tell me that Tyson said all MDs are worthless (or whatever you meant by disparage) I'm going to have to call BS until you provide a source. 
Actually I'm quite prejudiced towards tyson, because I only know random contextless quotes of him. So all I really know of him is that he's somehow treated like the pope of science by some (yeah weird analogy I know, but some people seem to worship him like that). Perhaps it's time for me to find out who he really is, rather than relying on my prejudice...
And yes there are quite stupid MDs around and more than one would like to know. I've met some of them myself, and it's horrible to think that these people are in charge of making decisions about life and death.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

ScuzzyEye

30 Jan 2015

The only people I've ever seen NdGT come down on are those who are claiming to have all the answers, but have nothing to back up their statements. This does include two people with medical degrees, who have some very odd beliefs that are not backed up by medical science, but who are happy to take your money in exchange for their products.

EnochLight

30 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:If he gets the yahoos to learn something about science, I'll happily buy his cars. Wife of a real, live Philosopher, btw.
Agreed.  The only time I've seen Tyson call out other scientists is when they conveniently overlook the scientific method to validate their own beliefs, which - the vast majority of the time - are not rooted in science but religion instead.  
Tre Trelos wrote:The man is a pompous ass, he's just like Dr. Phil.
Yeah I'm not feeling that.  Dr. Phil only got to where he is today because Opra featured him frequently before his rise to fame.  And for as much "good" she has done, Opra is about as scientifically literate as a moss covered rock.  Her whole feature on anti-vaxer queen and nursing school dropout Jenny McCarthy was deplorable and has caused massive harm to the American public's health.  But I digress...
Julibee wrote:I actually meant that *I* am the wife of a philosopher. We watched Cosmos together.  :)
His Cosmos redux was absolutely fantastic.  There was literally a few parts (can't remember which episode) that made me all teary eyed at the majesty of it all.  Simply brilliant.

kloeckno

30 Jan 2015

Nice, one of my bandmates was at that same event! Small world :s0230:

EnochLight

30 Jan 2015

kloeckno wrote:Nice, one of my bandmates was at that same event! Small world :s0230:
Very cool!  You're based around Detroit?

kloeckno

30 Jan 2015

No, I've played some shows in that area but I've lived in the Lansing area. Currently East Lansing to be exact.

Tre Trelos

30 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
https://scientiasalon.wordpress.com/201 ... hilosophy/

JNeffLind

30 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
Tre Trelos wrote:

Pardon the crude expression, but this seems like a bad case of butthurt. To anyone but philosophy majors there is huge range of the usefulness of different kinds of philosophy. There is the philosophy of something like Plato's Republic which actually expresses ideas on how to live and act and there is philosophy that asks the question "What is the sound of one hand clapping" or "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." This is mental masturbation. Like masturbation, while it may be fun for the person engaged in it, it doesn't serve any real purpose not inherent in its own distracting ends.

I was a philosophy major for one semester for this very reason. Too much hang up on the "meaning of meaning" and not enough emphasis on real world applications like morality, ethics, evil, good, etc. 

This blogger wants philosophy held in the same esteem as hard science and doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact that hard science deals in real world questions with answers that can be applied in meaningful ways. Most modern philosophy is not based on the physical or social world, but is invented semantic word puzzle bs that asks meaningless questions for the sake of having a question to ask and leads to equally meaningless answers. 

By the way, there was nothing in here about doctors.

Tre Trelos

30 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
Tre Trelos wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:
Pardon the crude expression, but this seems like a bad case of butthurt. To anyone but philosophy majors there is huge range of the usefulness of different kinds of philosophy. There is the philosophy of something like Plato's Republic which actually expresses ideas on how to live and act and there is philosophy that asks the question "What is the sound of one hand clapping" or "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." This is mental masturbation. Like masturbation, while it may be fun for the person engaged in it, it doesn't serve any real purpose not inherent in its own distracting ends.

I was a philosophy major for one semester for this very reason. Too much hang up on the "meaning of meaning" and not enough emphasis on real world applications like morality, ethics, evil, good, etc. 

This blogger wants philosophy held in the same esteem as hard science and doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact that hard science deals in real world questions with answers that can be applied in meaningful ways. Most modern philosophy is not based on the physical or social world, but is invented semantic word puzzle bs that asks meaningless questions for the sake of having a question to ask and leads to equally meaningless answers. 

First it was BS and now it's Butthurt, you seem really emotionally attached to Dr. Tyson.
I'm sorry I offended you, but that's my opinion.  There are plenty more examples of the good Dr. talking down to other academics, and no I'm not going to hunt down links for you.

I was going to respond the first time by telling you to use google, but I thought I should be more polite so I provided you with a link.

At any rate I've said my bit.

EnochLight

30 Jan 2015

With all due respect to Julibee's bo, I largely agree with this.   ;)

Tre Trelos

30 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:
With all due respect to Julibee's bo, I largely agree with this.   ;)
Ha Ha, I see what you did there.

Julibee

30 Jan 2015

I wrote this very long thing... But it all boiled down to this: All disciplines think their chosen field is the best. But, that doesn't stop them from being friends with those outside of their departments and disciplines, or seeking their input or collaboration.

In fact, I enjoy pointing to NdGT's reddit AMA, in which he outlined 8 books that everyone should read. Spoiler: They are all Philosophical in nature. http://www.brainpickings.org/2014/12/29 ... ding-list/

So, he can talk crap about Philosophy all he wants. He, himself, has pointed to it, has benefited from it, and uses it, whether he owns up or not. Honestly, the "meaning of the meaning" business is not for everyone. If it WERE, all we'd ever do is navel gaze.

I will still like him for delivering an easily digestible form of science to the masses. I think that's a worthy cause.

Julibee

30 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:...I was a philosophy major for one semester for this very reason. Too much hang up on the "meaning of meaning" and not enough emphasis on real world applications like morality, ethics, evil, good, etc. 

I DO have to take exception to this. My husband not only teaches logic and ethics, but BIO MEDICAL ethics, to real world people-- Nurses, specifically. He sits on Medical Ethics boards at several local hospitals and (utilizing his Philosophical training), helps them make decisions for un/under-represented patients in life and death and quality of life situations. Word.

He can also make your head spin through a Phenomenonological exercise in the life world and how we experience the "real". Better than illegal substances. Not even kidding.

I think you were in the wrong class. Maybe the wrong school. Also, the foundation of "meaning as meaning" and classical Philosophy pre-requisites are pretty imperative to the whole. "You can't get there from here" sort of thing. Well, that, and there are a hundred thousand factions of Philosophical disciplines, and most schools seem to be composed of Profs who lean one way or the other.

• Information