Legendary studio productions and their influence on modern music making

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EnochLight

28 Jan 2015

Thought I'd share these, as they tend to hold a special place in my heart as far as studio production milestones:

Kraftwerk's The Man Machine:

http://www.musictech.net/2014/12/landma ... n-machine/

The Beatles' White Album:

http://www.musictech.net/2015/01/landma ... ite-album/

Bjork's Homogenic:

http://www.musictech.net/2014/12/landma ... homogenic/

What productions inspire you?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KEVMOVE02

28 Jan 2015

Kraftwerk's Numbers, Art of noise's Close to the Edit and Beatbox, Yellow Magic Orchestra's Computer Games and Herbie Hancock were my inspiratiion to get my first synth and a portastudio 4 track.

Last Alternative

28 Jan 2015

All of Hurts music is astoundingly well produced. It's one of my favorite bands but I'm almost more entertained by the mixing. It's incredibly huge with depth and clarity.
And of course Lorde's producer is a genius too. I wish he was my producer.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

28 Jan 2015

How could I forget Art of noise's Close to the Edit and Beatbox? Brilliant. And yes - Lorde's producer did great. Will be interested to see how she does with a different producer or on her own. She's no Charlie XCX.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ecopro

28 Jan 2015

I love Kraftwerk and their pioneer sounds that have been the influence of so many, but my true inspiration to get into music-making came since I heard the following:

Portishead's Dummy - Love the Lo-fi sound 
DM's Violator -  infectious, and melodic - One song that says it all: "Enjoy the Silence"

There are so many more, but those two are my main ones.
Guts Electronic Mayhem

Some Desperate Glory

28 Jan 2015

This may be one of the best-produced albums I've ever heard.  A true album rather than a collection of songs.  The sound and feel remains consistent from song to song and often the songs subtly blend into each other like they are bubbling up from the sea.  Even the artwork fit the album perfectly.  No other album has taken me on a journey as much as this one (with the possible exception of David Bowie's Ziggy Startdust).  

The seamless blend of electronic and acoustic instruments was so brilliantly pulled off in that album that it is sometimes hard to tell if a given sound is electronic and acoustic.  Depeche Mode have tried to recapture that in later albums but it has never been done so well (Songs of Faith and Devotion is close).

To me Violator stands alone as the most singular perfect work of art to come out of electronic pop music.  There are a lot of great songs and albums out there but no one got the entire package exactly right the way Violator did.

It's strange that Flood did such a horrible job producing Erasure's Loveboat, which in my opinion is by far their worst album and sounds terrible.  By for Violator he did everything right.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2015

Ecopro wrote:Portishead's Dummy - Love the Lo-fi sound 
DM's Violator -  infectious, and melodic - One song that says it all: "Enjoy the Silence"

Some Desperate Glory wrote:To me Violator stands alone as the most singular perfect work of art to come out of electronic pop music.  There are a lot of great songs and albums out there but no one got the entire package exactly right the way Violator did..
Oh hell yes - these two are simply brilliant.  Absolutely timeless. 

On reflection on what I wrote above, I officially recant my statements on both Lorde (her producer) and Charlie XCX.  These are too new to be considered legendary studio productions.

Julibee

28 Jan 2015

Ecopro wrote:I love Kraftwerk and their pioneer sounds that have been the influence of so many, but my true inspiration to get into music-making came since I heard the following:

THIS is why I like you, Ed. Those are my top two, as well. But I'm going to add a few...

The Cure, Disintigration (for Plainsong ALONE, even)
Massive Attack, Mezzanine
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

EnochLight

28 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:THIS is why I like you, Ed. Those are my top two, as well. But I'm going to add a few... The Cure, Disintigration (for Plainsong ALONE, even) Massive Attack, Mezzanine
I think we would have been BFF's had we grown up together.  Both of these are in my top 10.  

Last Alternative

28 Jan 2015

But honestly how the fuck to you make such a clean record?!? Maybe I'll be there someday when I'm so old no one cares anymore. :s0403:
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Julibee

28 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:THIS is why I like you, Ed. Those are my top two, as well. But I'm going to add a few... The Cure, Disintigration (for Plainsong ALONE, even) Massive Attack, Mezzanine
EnochLight wrote:
I think we would have been BFF's had we grown up together.  Both of these are in my top 10.  
I don't doubt it at all. It would have been SO NICE if I had only known one, single person in my high school that liked the same things I did. Nope. It was me and Echo and the Bunnymen hanging out in the hallway with headphones while Poison and Aerosmith played over the loudspeakers. Oh, pre grunge 90s. Was absolutely thrilling when Seattle opened the door to something different, and everyone was into it. Was such a huge WHOA moment. I graduated high school in 1991-- the year it happened. By the time I got to college, everyone was on the same page. Was crazy to suddenly like what everyone else was into.

Some Desperate Glory

28 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:I graduated high school in 1991-- the year it happened. By the time I got to college, everyone was on the same page. Was crazy to suddenly like what everyone else was into.
You were a proto-hipster.  You liked alternative rock before it was cool.   :)
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Ecopro

28 Jan 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:  

The seamless blend of electronic and acoustic instruments was so brilliantly pulled off in that album that it is sometimes hard to tell if a given sound is electronic and acoustic.  Depeche Mode have tried to recapture that in later albums but it has never been done so well (Songs of Faith and Devotion is close).

IMO, they won't be able to pull off another Violator and I don't think they want to, as much as fans keep asking for a sequel or another like it. SOF&D IMO, stands alone as well. This is their Grungiest work, an edgier sound that showcases the band's tribulations of that time. I also love their "Ultra" album right after this one. One of their darkest IMO.
To me Violator stands alone as the most singular perfect work of art to come out of electronic pop music.  There are a lot of great songs and albums out there but no one got the entire package exactly right the way Violator did.
I concur. Have you heard the remastered version yet? I wonder if it's any better than the original?

Guts Electronic Mayhem

Ecopro

28 Jan 2015

Ecopro wrote:I love Kraftwerk and their pioneer sounds that have been the influence of so many, but my true inspiration to get into music-making came since I heard the following:

Julibee wrote: THIS is why I like you, Ed. Those are my top two, as well. But I'm going to add a few... The Cure, Disintigration (for Plainsong ALONE, even) Massive Attack, Mezzanine
So nice of you to say Julibee. I hold Massive Attack up there as well. I mean...Teardrop, wow!... I can't get tired of that song!  :love:
Guts Electronic Mayhem

Julibee

28 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:I graduated high school in 1991-- the year it happened. By the time I got to college, everyone was on the same page. Was crazy to suddenly like what everyone else was into.
Some Desperate Glory wrote:
You were a proto-hipster.  You liked alternative rock before it was cool.   :)
Good thing I didn't know, or I woulda gone off the goth deep end....

ionly

28 Jan 2015

Phew, that's a difficult one. There are sooo many studio albums (vinyl, tape, cd) that I revisit time and time again, so I'm only going to recommend something recent for its sheer innovation, intensity, and one that reveals a different layer on each repetition.

Jon Hopkin's stunning Immunity.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/180 ... -immunity/

am0eba

28 Jan 2015

Have to agree with Violator: I think Policy Of Truth is the most well-produced song I've ever heard. It is just perfection in every way, and I am amazed all over again, every time I hear it.

I also agree with Beatles White Album, but also, Sergeant Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour (and to some extent, Abbey Road… All inspirational.

Jon Anderson's solo album, Olias Of Sunhillow blew my mind when it came out… As did all of Mike Oldfield's early albums: Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, and Incantations… These are all fantastic works of multi tracking genius, with hundreds of tracks, back when it was a big deal to do more than 8!

Todd Rundgren also comes to mind as an icon of production, although he is mostly known for singles he produced for other bands. Still, his work on XTC's Skylarking stands out, as do his own albums, Something/Anything, A Wizard A True Star, Todd, Faithful, Initiation, Hermit Of Mink Hollow, and Healing… All amazing.

Then there's early Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, CLose To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and Relayer, all fantastic.

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this one, but U2's Unforgettable FIre, Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are all fine examples of superior production.

Going back farther, Pink Floyd (before they became ponderous): Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here, were all groundbreaking production exercises.

Stuff produced by Guy Sigsworth fascinates me: his productions include Seal (Crazy), Bjork, Alanis Morrisette, Imogen Heap, and Richard Butler's solo album. Lots of crazy little details way in the background supporting almost vintage-sounding instruments and voices up front… Very much worth looking into.

Speaking of Imogen Heap, her new self-produced album, Sparks is incredibly good! Just overwhelming how talented and capable she is… Very inspirational stuff!

Finally, and one of my favorites: Garbage! The production on their first three albums (before they became more of a live performance vehicle for Shirley Manson) are just filled with layers and layers of the most awesome production elements and details: Garbage, Version 2.0, and Beautiful Garbage. Mastrpieces of Butch Vig's production. (He produced Nirvana's Nirvana and Nevermind albums.)

Okay, your turn… heh.

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

selig
RE Developer

28 Jan 2015

I guess I've been listening for a long time, as this is a long list (apologies in advance). I've included any album I owned or listened to that directly inspired something I did in the studio. Also included musical influences where I didn't get deep into a specific album or project, but was influenced more peripherally. 

In no particular order, and most certainly still leaving stuff out…

Beatles, just about anything from Revolver on!
Paul McCartney, Band on the Run
John Lennon, Imagine
Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Where Here
Kate Bush, The Dreaming (a CMI extravaganza!)
Peter Gabriel, So and Passion (totally different, both totally inspiring to me)
Talk Talk, Color of Spring
Walter/Wendy Carlos, Switched on Bach
Todd Rungren, Something Anything
Brian Eno, anything "ambient"
Cocteau Twins, anything!
Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
Moby, Play
Roxy Music, Avalon
Yes, Fragile
Scritti Politti, Cupid and Psyche 85 (esp. Perfect Way)
Art of Noise, Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise
Deep Forest & Enigma (any)
Nirvana, Nevermind
Portishead, Dummy
Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big Chair
Edgar Winter, Frankenstein (song)
Derrick and the Dominos, Layla (song)
Gustav Holst, The Planets
Isao Tomita, The Planets (!)

Misc influences,
Elton John
Led Zeppelin
Steely Dan
Talking Heads
The Who
Bob Marley
Radiohead
The Cure
The Police
Steve Wonder
U2
Imogen Heap
Sly and the Family Stone
Fleetwood Mac
Miles Davis
Tangerine Dream (RIP Edgar Froese)
John Coltrane

Selig Audio, LLC

MarkTarlton

28 Jan 2015

man! every record and artist you all have mentioned are right up there on my list too!

this community has good taste!

axis bold as love and led zepplin II

selig
RE Developer

28 Jan 2015

MarkTarlton wrote:man! every record and artist you all have mentioned are right up there on my list too!

this community has good taste!

axis bold as love and led zepplin II
Oh yea, I forgot Hendrix…added!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

am0eba

28 Jan 2015

@selig: Younger me would have killed older me for forgetting Peter Gabriel! "Security" (with Shock The Monkey, San Jacinto, and I Have The Touch) and So (with Red Rain, In Your Eyes, and Mercy Street - sorry, not acknowledging Sledgehammer!) Just completely overwhelmed me. With these two albums, I think he set much of the tone of popular music for years to come, and doubtless influenced uncountable artists...

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Jan 2015

Lots of the above, but one producer has always stood out. It's not even a genre I have any real affinity too, but every time I play one of their tracks it astounds me good the production is. Legendary? Yeah. Influential? Probably not as much as it deserves to be. 

But that band is Boney M, produced by Frank Farian, who also performed the lead male voice on the LPs. Listen to any of the great singles from the first three albums, obviously the disco classics Daddy Cool, Rasputin, and Gotta Go Home. The depth and clarity of the sound just blows my mind. 70s funk and disco generally do have very high production quality.

And of course if you're talking absolutely influential productions, many of us on this board probably wouldn't be here without Jarre's Oxygene and Equixoxe.

• Information