What do you think of The Prodigy's new music?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Jagwah

27 Jan 2015

I still have an interest in anything these guys do, Liam Howlett is a long time seasoned veteran, but the emphasis on rock is not why I got in to them in the first place. I guess they didn't grow with me as I am still very edm focused like these guys used to be but aren't anymore.

I have heard in interviews that they love doing live shows, and their music is definitely geared towards it, I just really miss that mind blowing electronic stuff Liam is capable of.

The live shows really are amazing (see third video).

Any thoughts?

Live at the Rock AM Ring 2009:

deankay

27 Jan 2015

I was really surprised when I heard Nasty, didn't like it much at all, except for the awesome video. But the day is my enemy is so bad ass, so power. I love it.
I don't think they were more edm focused in the past. Still sounds like them to me. Maybe you grew out of them?

Jagwah

27 Jan 2015

deankay wrote:I don't think they were more edm focused in the past. Still sounds like them to me. Maybe you grew out of them?
Their last two albums were very rock focused, before that they were massively electronic all the way back to the start. They were big in the early hardcore rave scene too.

It was a big change and I never liked it much at all. The music is killer though don't get me wrong, I find it does tend to grow on me like that 'Baby's got a temper' one, and I really like 'Hotride,' but it's nothing like the previous electronic focused stuff, not to me anyway. 

If this is a permanent direction they have taken, then I think you might be right in that I have outgrown them. There tends to be hints of electronic awesomeness through this newer stuff, so who knows maybe it's not all over just yet!  :idea:

Jagwah

27 Jan 2015

By the way, one of my favourites:

And this one - is just incredible. Very expensive to produce so apparently there will never be a Volume 2:

Attachments
dirtchamber_japan_sampler_cover.jpg
dirtchamber_japan_sampler_cover.jpg (235.87 KiB) Viewed 981 times

Aquila

27 Jan 2015

I was rather concerned about the direction of their upcoming album after hearing Nasty. It was technically brilliant, but just lacked the special something that a lot of their earlier works had.

Then when they released The Day Is My Enemy, my faith was restored. That track is an absolute banger! I really hope the rest of the album will be like this...

sharpblue

27 Jan 2015

allthough its unlikely i'd add it to my itunes library, that "nasty" isn't as bad as i was expecting lol, i dont realy keep track of the prodigy any more but did see them live a few times back in thier hayday and they definitely do put on a good live show for those that may be interested in seeing them play

Rice

28 Jan 2015

I do like nasty :D ...but for real, its banging!

phasys

28 Jan 2015

Nasty made me feel underwhelmed. There was a satirical article on some site about how Prodigy accidentaly released one of their old tracks that they had laying around as their new single. That's exactly what it sounds like. It sounds like it could have been on Invaders must die. So I didn't like it much. It's alright, much like most AC/DC songs are "alright" but never as good as Highway to Hell or Whole Lotta Rosie. Haven't heard the other tracks yet, I'll check them out tonight after I get back from work.

• Information