Advice on how to persuade or best inform potential IDT / Refill makers

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Tincture

20 Jan 2015

Hi,
I met a talented Sitar player over the summer who works predominantly with a (tabla etc) percussionist. I know they are both Associate Music Lecturers at a (UK) south west university and that Jon (the guy I haven't met) is the one with the technology/recording know-how going by his website. The last time I saw Ricky (the sitar player, purely into that) I said I'd drop them both an email with some info about something they might potentially be interested in exploring.

I want to send the email soon before any impetus is lost. I'm thinking that at the very least they would be able to come up with some cool refills but would really love to see what might be possible via the IDT.

So I'm just asking if anyone has any advice about what to include, what depth etc. They are very laid back and nice guys so I don't want to put them off with too much info or over zealousness.

I'm thinking just to send them links to the developer info on the Props site (when new one is up), tell them they can demo Reason fully and ... ?

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

Hi zac!
I think this is a tough one.
Maybe wait until themnew site is up, then find the link to the IDT info and send them that and let them make their own decisions. Because there's the perspective "who's gonna hire a sitar player, if there's a perfectly working digital version of a sitar around." And of course it is not easy to convince somebody to endanger their own job. Of course they will continue to make music, especially since sitar and tabla are so nice to feel.
Yeah so I'd say best would be to be as minimal as possible. I would try and wrap it like an invitation, not as a request.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Tincture

21 Jan 2015

Hi Fred,
thanks for your thoughts :) The sitar is such a wonderfully dynamic and unique instrument that I don't think any amount of sampling could ever replace hearing it being played by a talented musician. I see what you mean though, and will talk about Refills as well as the IDT. I think there could be scope for a very nice percussion instrument too.

I will keep it very light and relaxed, I just have a feeling that Jon (going by his website) might see promise in the opportunity, I hope I'm right.

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

Yeah sounds like a good idea!
Good luck zac!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information