No More Downvoting Allowed?!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
motuscott

20 Jan 2015

Where's the fun?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Gaja

20 Jan 2015

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed as well. That way I could express my dissatisfaction without having to jump right into the brawl.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

Still I'll fall behind the man whose headache running this forum is.
Not saying you wouldn't do that.

Olivier

20 Jan 2015

I don't like the idea of anonymous negativity. I think its bad for a community.
I much rather see people stay out of a thread or disagree in a constructive manner that benefits us all.

I think one of the problems with the props forums was that people felt entitled to vent anything there because they are paying customers. This place however is a gift. Lets treat it with respect.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

normen

20 Jan 2015

I am ambiguous about downvoting.. It can be a good marker for some people who always think they have a silent majority on their side when they start ranting. When they see they only get downvotes they tend to stop the ranting. Had some good experiences on a programming forum where I'm admin with those. It also keeps down the bickering because many people will just press that downvote button instead of posting "Dude, you're completely out of your mind" which in turn only provokes more useless posts like "I am out of my mind? Well you can suck a d**k man!" Having only upvotes might even support them because theres one other idiot who thinks that ranting is a great thing.

On the other hand I also think that just having positive feedback is enough, why support negativity?

Olivier

20 Jan 2015

normen wrote:I am ambiguous about downvoting.. It can be a good marker for some people who always think they have a silent majority on their side when they start ranting. When they see they only get downvotes they tend to stop the ranting. Had some good experiences on a programming forum where I'm admin with those. It also keeps down the bickering because many people will just press that downvote button instead of posting "Dude, you're completely out of your mind" which in turn only provokes more useless posts like "I am out of my mind? Well you can suck a d**k man!" Having only upvotes might even support them because theres one other idiot who thinks that ranting is a great thing.

On the other hand I also think that just having positive feedback is enough, why support negativity?
Good points, here's an upvote ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

If you don't like something then... don't like it. I saw a few silly comments that had gotten downvotes and to me it seemed prudish. I feel like, just as with criticising music, if you are going to be negative about something you should be obligated to explain yourself. How do you think somebody would feel if they got a downvote on their music? It could be anything from "I like it but..." to "this shit sucks, quit music!" If you like something a lot of times there is no point in explaining it. The rules still apply to personal attacks so don't worry about that. Someone pointed out that it could be used if you simply don't like someone or their opinion, if it is different than yours. Also remember, some people thrive off of negative attention. Better to just let it starve by ignoring it.

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

Check the new sig guys!

Purpleb

20 Jan 2015

motuscott wrote:Check the new sig guys!
Lol lol lol

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

motuscott wrote:Check the new sig guys!
Smedberg wrote: Dork? Dark? Desk?
Exactly, suck a desk. Preferably SSL series E emulation.

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

It's whatever you want it to be, Big Boy.

Ostermilk

20 Jan 2015

motuscott wrote:Where's the fun?
There's a thread about Marmite and you have to ask this question?

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

I'm slow. What can I say?

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote: Don't forget to like my posts, I'm starving for Likes! :D
Friendship: lasting until your deposit runs out.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

gearslutz went this way too and i was really pleased about it as once someone had decided they didn't like someone, they would go downvote every post. It happens, even in the nicest most heavily moderated of forums.

Positivity is best.. vite a thumbs up if you like the post or don't vote anything at all if you don't, or quote and politely disapprove/banter/debate.

Thumbs down is too "abusable", but i don't think the thumbs up is.. if that makes sense.. I find over years and years that people will generally find the time to down vote a post they didn't even read if they don't like the poster, but will not up vote it unless they actually read the post and got use out of it or thought it was a generally deserving post, irrespective of the poster.

I could be wrong but that's my experience, and no, I don't have any "enemies" at GS so never experienced that myself but saw it happening to some others... it's almost like cyber bullying in a sense, one guy I know got very emotionally distressed over it.

good call Lunesis, thank you :)

deepndark

20 Jan 2015

I think thumbs down voting ruins the forum. Some haters just press it, wehenever they can. If something bothers you about some post, just add a comment and make it clear there, what you didn't like. + there's always some emoticons you can use to hate people, hehe.

ionly

20 Jan 2015

Maybe add a "dislike" meter to their signature also? When it hits max, they're ka-booom!

Only kidding ;)

Edit: A virtual MMA cage-fight might be fun also. With tickets, and popcorn. Admin could have the ring-side seats. No? :D

Carnstein

20 Jan 2015

We can always express our dislike for something by abstaining from liking it I guess. I like the logic though, if you're going to be negative then you should explain so at least there can be a meaningful discussion instead of just passive aggression.
Hello!

• Information