Marmite vs Vegemite

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Thanks for sharing this knowledge!
I was given a beer set for christmas.
Four very very different beers made by some world champion beer somelier. Very nice tastes and very strong. I was seriously drunk after sharing three beers with a friend...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ostermilk

19 Jan 2015

English Marmite AND Vegemite for me.

Vegemite is better for making stock and you can spread it a bit thicker on bread than Mamite before it turns you boss eyed.

Sometimes though only Marmite on toast will satisfy.

If anyone here is trying it out for the first time, just make sure you spread it very thinly otherwise you are likely to suffer a shock that will put you off it for life.

JNeffLind

19 Jan 2015

I've got to go for Peanut Butter. Not sure if that's an Aussie staple or if it's scarce as in Europe.

Honorable mention goes to Nutella, which Americans are quickly discovering.

Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:I've got to go for Peanut Butter. Not sure if that's an Aussie staple or if it's scarce as in Europe.
It's probably the second biggest selling spread in Australia after Vegemite, so yes, very popular.

I actually get my peanut butter from a non-profit food co-operative, where they make it on the spot when a customer wants some. BYO jar too, which is a fabulous environmental initiative (everything in the co-op is bulk so its BYO packaging for everything they sell)
My Words are my ART

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

the swiss version of it , maybe even the original !

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Olivier

25 Jan 2015

As a dutch guy i prefer thinly sliced german sourdough bread, lightly toasted, making it crunchy on the outside, but still moist and therefor steamy in the middle, with english style marmite please.
Oh and by the way, i can tell you peanutbutter is HUGE here. Defenitely not scarce in this part of europe ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

PSoames wrote:Sorry Charly,

Marmite invented 1902. Cenovis invented 1931.

Then Cenovis is the best fake I tryed :D

we have it for breakfirst here .... well some do :D   I always got a tube in the fridge !

best steak sandwich's with marmite or cenovis ;

1) you take a half french baguette , split it up on the length and toast it Under the grill a bit and spread some dijon mustard on one side of the toasted baguette .

2) you spread a bit marmite on both sides of a raw steak like marinade , dont cover the meat Under too much , you must only give a bit of a Brown color to the steak and not soak it in marmite . (use a brush)

3) cook the steak into a pan and use a few drop's of oïl or some butter but not much (even in a teflon pan)

4) put the steak in the baguette but some soak the both sides of the baguette in the butter used to cook the steak before   :)  

it's ready ,  yummy !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

• Information