Marmite vs Vegemite

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

You can have the right to the Pavlova.

After all, we get international bragging rights to Crowded House. If anyone ask me about that funny place called New Zealand, I mention that it's 'The East Island of Australia'

You can have Russell Crowe back though.
My Words are my ART

-008'

19 Jan 2015

Vegemite is ok.

I buy mine from my bread guy in Brussels. Tall guy, about 6 foot four. Always smiling. I don't think he speak-a-my-language.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

loopback

19 Jan 2015

There ... settled! :s0801:

soundcloud.com/minex

raymondh

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:You can have the right to the Pavlova.

After all, we get international bragging rights to Crowded House. If anyone ask me about that funny place called New Zealand, I mention that it's 'The East Island of Australia'

You can have Russell Crowe back though.
Haha touche ! :)

raymondh

19 Jan 2015

-008' wrote:Vegemite is ok.

I buy mine from my bread guy in Brussels. Tall guy, about 6 foot four. Always smiling. I don't think he speak-a-my-language.
Nice!!

Leighbeater

19 Jan 2015

I can't believe I was the first one to vote for Vegemite, I had squashed Vegemite sandwiches for school lunch everyday for years

Squashed at the bottom of my school bag, I was too tough for a lunch box

Mind you I was jealous of the kids that could afford a bought canteen lunch especially a nice warm pie on a cold rainy day

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:I think I tried one of those before, but it seems to be an acquired taste... Can't say I was convinced...
But as a kid I loved to put some Maggi on gray bread...

D.
Sadly outside of germany proper bread is vastly unheard of. For many people the idea of crust on bread is really strange for many, as is to us the idea of bread without crust.
If I could choose one great thing that came from germany, I'd pick the bread 10/10.
So if any of you guys here visit germany go right in the Bäckerei and get yourself some freshly baked Graubrot and eat some with butter and salt (or cheese).

Regarding the marmite vegemite debate, I like a german product called Alnatura Hefe-Extrakt the best.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Sadly outside of germany proper bread is vastly unheard of. For many people the idea of crust on bread is really strange for many, as is to us the idea of bread without crust.
Huh ? I have never seen bread without crust in my country, which is in the south pacific.

Actually the only crustless bread i can think of is that dense black bread.. and that's German !

I'm partical to artisan sourdough, which is plenty crusty, and readily available all over the city. Also many other styles from around the world. French style bagettes are by and far the most popular bread across every suburban area as well.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

In fact, I can think of four German bakeries within 20 minutes of my house.

My Words are my ART

Wook

19 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:Sadly outside of germany proper bread is vastly unheard of. For many people the idea of crust on bread is really strange for many, as is to us the idea of bread without crust. If I could choose one great thing that came from germany, I'd pick the bread 10/10. So if any of you guys here visit germany go right in the Bäckerei and get yourself some freshly baked Graubrot and eat some with butter and salt (or cheese).
Graubrot is more common outside Germany than you think. It's very popular in Croatia. My family buys it often. I guess that's because we had a pretty big German community before WW2. Partisans exiled and killed lots of german civilians just because they were German but culture is still present.

Ever tried making your own bread? I made this one and it's super simple. That meat thing is rolled pork neck that has been cured and dried on pine tree and strong winter winds.

Attachments
bild_(1).JPG
bild_(1).JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2204 times

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Sadly outside of germany proper bread is vastly unheard of. For many people the idea of crust on bread is really strange for many, as is to us the idea of bread without crust.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Huh ? I have never seen bread without crust in my country, which is in the south pacific.

Actually the only crustless bread i can think of is that dense black bread.. and that's German !

I'm partical to artisan sourdough, which is plenty crusty, and readily available all over the city. Also many other styles from around the world. French style bagettes are by and far the most popular bread across every suburban area as well.
Hmm... Interesting...
Whenever I was abroad I couldn't find any bread that wasn't pure wheat, or squishy. That's of course mainly an indicator of my abilities to find that :)
Well in australia, france, italy, spain, hungary, scottland, england, slovenia and USA I couldn't find any.
But it's good to know that I was wrong on this.
@ wook
Yeah I make my own bread from time to time. I love rye bread with corn and carrots inside. Absolute favourite!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yorick

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:

I've never seen bread without a crust in any nation I've lived, except when young kids have them cut off.

Yorick

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:

Gaja wrote: Hmm... Interesting... Whenever I was abroad I couldn't find any bread that wasn't pure wheat, or squishy. That's of course mainly an indicator of my abilities to find that :) Well in australia, france, italy, spain, hungary, scottland, england, slovenia and USA I couldn't find any. But it's good to know that I was wrong on this. @ wook Yeah I make my own bread from time to time. I love rye bread with corn and carrots inside. Absolute favourite!
My wife bakes her own bread! It's an art!

Yorick

19 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:Sadly outside of germany proper bread is vastly unheard of. For many people the idea of crust on bread is really strange for many, as is to us the idea of bread without crust. If I could choose one great thing that came from germany, I'd pick the bread 10/10. So if any of you guys here visit germany go right in the Bäckerei and get yourself some freshly baked Graubrot and eat some with butter and salt (or cheese).
Wook wrote: Graubrot is more common outside Germany than you think. It's very popular in Croatia. My family buys it often. I guess that's because we had a pretty big German community before WW2. Partisans exiled and killed lots of german civilians just because they were German but culture is still present.

Ever tried making your own bread? I made this one and it's super simple. That meat thing is rolled pork neck that has been cured and dried on pine tree and strong winter winds.

Yum!!!

eusti

19 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote: I've never seen bread without a crust in any nation I've lived, except when young kids have them cut off.
As a fellow German I think I know what was originally meant... It's not so much that there is no crust, with a lot of breads for instance here in the US, but a lot of times it's not crisp... Or if it actually is crisp the whole bread is too dry... These days it seems a bit easier to find decent bread here at least in NYC, but I still miss good German bread: with a crisp crust and slightly moist inner texture...

D.

Masushi

19 Jan 2015

and don´t forget to put Marmite (English-Version) on your Nutella-bread (especially fresh Graubrot). I really love it. :)

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote: I've never seen bread without a crust in any nation I've lived, except when young kids have them cut off.
eusti wrote:
As a fellow German I think I know what was originally meant... It's not so much that there is no crust, with a lot of breads for instance here in the US, but a lot of times it's not crisp... Or if it actually is crisp the whole bread is too dry... These days it seems a bit easier to find decent bread here at least in NYC, but I still miss good German bread: with a crisp crust and slightly moist inner texture...

D.
Yes that is exactly what I meant. The ears eat along as well.
Of course baguette is really crisp, but it's white flour, which I don't like for nurishment purposes.
I need one slice of graybread in the morning, or seven slices of white bread.
So yeah the crispness and the nourishment is what I'm missing in other breads.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Failed Muso

19 Jan 2015

Marmite XO FTMFW

So good that Beyonce wrote a song about it (I'm shittin' ya ;) )

I still have unopened jars of Marmite Gold too... tastes the same as regular stuff, but just looks awesome.

My umami tastebuds get a good daily workout ;)

eusti

19 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Yes that is exactly what I meant. The ears eat along as well. Of course baguette is really crisp, but it's white flour, which I don't like for nurishment purposes. I need one slice of graybread in the morning, or seven slices of white bread. So yeah the crispness and the nourishment is what I'm missing in other breads.
We Germans love our bread!!! :)

D.

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Yes that is exactly what I meant. The ears eat along as well. Of course baguette is really crisp, but it's white flour, which I don't like for nurishment purposes. I need one slice of graybread in the morning, or seven slices of white bread. So yeah the crispness and the nourishment is what I'm missing in other breads.
eusti wrote:
We Germans love our bread!!! :)

D.
Yes we do...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

Allow me ask you what is considered 'grey bread'? Are you referring to bread made with less processed flour? At the most basic level, in the mainstream Australians typically categorise breads in three categories of:

White (using processed or 'white' flour)
Wholemeal (using less processed, or 'brown' flour)
Multigrain (either white or brown flour, with the addition of softened, unmilled whole grains)

Perhaps where the misconception arises that Germany is the only country to find traditional crusty breads is  due to the proliferation in Australia, USA and England of highly processed, preservative-laden commercial breads found at the supermarkets. These are pre-sliced, have a soft crust, and an overall texture that might be called gummy. There is very little nutritional value, no satisfaction by eating these breads, but they are by and far the most popular.

That's not to say that decent breads are not available. Living in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world (Sydney), there is a long history of immigration, which carries with it a range of food influences from across the world. Hard crusty Italian loaves are not hard to find. I'm also partial to Middle Eastern fare, and with that comes a range of bread styles (both leavened and unleavened). Indian restaurants are found in almost every suburb, and they serve their own range of hand-made flat breads. The influx of Vietnamese migrants a few decades ago has resulted in almost every local bakery and retail shopfront selling French Baguettes (an influence of French occupation that has been maintained to this day - they are the most common bread in Vietnam, albeit with a twist on the classic recipe, in which they incorporate rice flour into the dough).

Then we move on to the specialty bakeries. I spend a considerable amount of time in an area that might be considered slightly bohemian. Foods referred to as 'Artisan' or 'Hand Made' are quite desirable, and finding a good loaf, a locally micro-brewed ale or a wide range of cheeses isn't much of a task.

And while it's near impossible to purchase a proper version, Australia's very own bread style is wonderful. It's called Damper, and was a staple of Stockmen & Cattle Drovers (think 'cowboys') over a hundred years ago, and is cooked on/in the coals of an open fire built on the the ground - ie this is not an oven baked bread). It's probably the only food that has a truly Australian heritage, but outside of wilderness seekers and campers, it's becoming unknown amongst the masses. 

My Words are my ART

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Ah thanks for explaining.
Well the bread I refer to is made with sourdough (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough).
I'll see if I can dig up some wikipedia articles to share...
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 2FGraubrot
Funnily enough google translates it into brown bread, even though it should be gray...
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... Roggenbrot
There's literally hundreds of different breads in germany.
Most of which are really nice with yeast extract on butter :D
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

Sourdough is my #1 go-to bread style, actually. Did you know that proper sourdough will always taste different, depending on the area it was made? Actually it's dependent on where the starter was made, because it's contingent on whatever mould spores and other crap is in the air at the origin of creation.

As an ex-brewer, I'm right into the microbiology of foods that involve fermentation or curing. Maintaining a Sourdough starter is for all intents and purposes, not so dissimilar to making beer.

Because I no longer brew, I'm considering getting into cheesemaking this year.
My Words are my ART

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Ah good to know there's more sourdough lovers in the world.
Making foods is amazingly similar to musicmaking for me. Sometimes it's a precision task that requires the utmost attention in all aspects, sometimes thenright thing is to jam right away. But careful! Too much salt, too much hihat and your earfood is ruined :P
Interesting about the origin of the sourdough...
Maybe that's why I thought there was no proper bread outside of germany :) 'just wasn't used to the different tastes...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

Gaja, even beer styles are influenced by yeast strains. As a former brewer of 'all-grain' beer (ie not using any of that tinned malt syrup, but making my own recipes, milling and mashing barley, and even kilning grain to my own specs) I can say that I could make one batch of beer, split it into two batches for fermentation, and the result would be two entirely different tasting beers, with the only difference to the ingredients list being the yeast. Even the same yeast used at two different temperatures will throw off flavours (phenols etc) that will change the characteristics. Before I gave the hobby away, I had won many state and national awards, and in one instance I entered the same beer twice (this is acceptable under the BJCP guidelines) with a 3ºc difference in fermentation temps. One beer took out first place, and the other came in at 12th place ! All because of a difference in temperature.

Unlike music (or cooking), brewing is very precise, if you have a vision of how you want the outcome to be.
My Words are my ART

• Information