Five Things Every Audio Pro Should Know

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

http://blog.rfvenue.com/five-things-eve ... how-to-do/

I'm an expert on at least three, and have a basic grasp of the other two. How about you?
My Words are my ART

stratatonic

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:http://blog.rfvenue.com/five-things-eve ... how-to-do/

I'm an expert on at least three, and have a basic grasp of the other two. How about you?
I've never had a problem with cables in the back of the Reason rack.

CephaloPod

18 Jan 2015

stratatonic wrote:
I've never had a problem with cables in the back of the Reason rack.

Oh, snap!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

normen

19 Jan 2015

This is stuff I expect my stage hands to know ^^

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

normen wrote:This is stuff I expect my stage hands to know ^^
Learnt how to cross-wind up cables at university. It was a revelation, almost like magic.

I still want to know who comes in my studio and tangles up all the wires when I leave the room, though. When I connected them up they were all perfectly laid out. I think it must be the same person who comes into my bedroom and steals a random sock.

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: I still want to know who comes in my studio and tangles up all the wires when I leave the room, though. When I connected them up they were all perfectly laid out. I think it must be the same person who comes into my bedroom and steals a random sock.
It's the same fucking prick who steals all my guitar plectrums
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

I'm going to take a wild guess and say over 75% of members here wouldn't know how to use a soldering iron.
My Words are my ART

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say over 75% of members here wouldn't know how to use a soldering iron.
I tried that but my shirts just got stuck to the ironing board.

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: I tried that but my shirts just got stuck to the ironing board.
 i told you shiny polyester was out of style.
My Words are my ART

normen

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I'm going to take a wild guess and say over 75% of members here wouldn't know how to use a soldering iron.
When I taught an apprentice how to solder an XLR cable and let them do the first one I take it, smash it to the ground and when they blink I just let them solder it again. They're gonna take a lot more abuse than that on stage after all (the cables that is) ;)

EpiGenetik

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
Although I can use a soldering iron, I wouldn't have known any of the stuff in the first post, although I do care for my guitar cables by being very gentle with them.

I think it's a modern thing, where because there is less need to use hardware (outside of PC and peripherals) people just don't and some of the skills are becoming obsoleted and/or forgotten. The important thing is that education materials include this kind of thing.

An irony now being that the existence of this forum is at the expense of an old resource getting wiped, despite having maybe 100,000 posts with useful info of some sort on it.

Still, that's the price of progress I guess.

Cheers
B

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

Lowlifebware wrote: I think it's a modern thing, where because there is less need to use hardware (outside of PC and peripherals) people just don't and some of the skills are becoming obsoleted and/or forgotten. The important thing is that education materials include this kind of thing. 
I would say that cable management and maintenance is never going to be obsolete. Even the most basic digital home studio requires at least six cables to operate (PC power, USB to interface, L/R speakers, monitor cable and USB to MIDI controller).

Admittedly though, I have never attempted to wire up a USB cable. I think that might be fiddly.

The issue is that in these modern times, people have this attitude that everything is disposable. If a cable termination starts playing up, folks will go and buy a new one. There is no desire to even try and fix something. This is problematic for the environment, when some simple skills can be learned.

There is also a sense of satisfaction when we fix (or build) stuff.
My Words are my ART

Ostermilk

19 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: I tried that but my shirts just got stuck to the ironing board.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
 i told you shiny polyester was out of style.
It is?

But you were complementing me on my sartorial elegance earlier and I don't wear anything that doesn't generate at least 30,000 volts when I pull it over my head.

I don't believe in spontaneous combustion I think you have to create your own sparks at least.  When I talk of wearing a blazer and flares I don't mess about with natural fibres.  The only concessions I make to natural fibres is with my vulcanized rubber thongs and my favourite espadrilles in a nice shade of cerise.

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

My Words are my ART

Gaja

20 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
I must say that I am amongst these. But not because I wouldn't care, but because I just couldn't get it done. I've tried many times and something happened everytime. One thing that always happened, was that whatever I touched with a soldering iron didn't work. I was pretty patient actually, seeing the obvious usefulness of such a skill, but after around fifty cables and not a single success (and countless burning wounds) I kind of thought I needed to protect myself from this.
But I'll try again occasionally, maybe I can get it at some point.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ostermilk

20 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Image 
Yeah, that's me in my night attire.

See, just from my PJ's you can tell that I'm one of the 25% that is adept with a soldering iron, a sponge and a pair of helping hands.  That reminds me, I must tin my bit.

Ohms Law hmmm.  Wasn't that the law that was passed to counter the populist idea that resistance is futile?

• Information