What have you been listening to?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3975
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Sep 2023

Queen, ...

I had no idea how many of their songs I was familiar with, and just how influential they were!!

RobC
Posts: 1857
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 13 Sep 2023

I tried the radio.

First there was a remix of Safri duo.
Then there was a remix of Equador.
Then there was a remix of "Papa was queen on the kongo, mama was king on whatever"

Then I turned it off, cause the cringe burned my face and body. : )
Does writing new songs sell THIS bad?

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3975
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 13 Sep 2023

RobC wrote:
13 Sep 2023
I tried the radio.

First there was a remix of Safri duo.
Then there was a remix of Equador.
Then there was a remix of "Papa was queen on the kongo, mama was king on whatever"

Then I turned it off, cause the cringe burned my face and body. : )
Does writing new songs sell THIS bad?
Nostalgia rules, and it's much cheaper and safer to rehash a classic than to create new ones ;)

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Night City

Post 13 Sep 2023

I just discovered the 1997 album "Music for Pleasure" by Monaco (from Peter Hook, New Order bassist). I really like the female harmonies on Tender, and the sha-la-la in What do you want from me?. Lot's of chorused bass and catchiness, dripping in "you ruined my life" lyrics! :lol:

monaco.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

RobC
Posts: 1857
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 14 Sep 2023

avasopht wrote:
13 Sep 2023
RobC wrote:
13 Sep 2023
I tried the radio.

First there was a remix of Safri duo.
Then there was a remix of Equador.
Then there was a remix of "Papa was queen on the kongo, mama was king on whatever"

Then I turned it off, cause the cringe burned my face and body. : )
Does writing new songs sell THIS bad?
Nostalgia rules, and it's much cheaper and safer to rehash a classic than to create new ones ;)
I get that, but if I want nostalgia, I just listen to a classic.
And trust me, when I found out what hits were ripped off during my childhood favorites, I was shocked how much better the originals were.

My main problem is that the remixes are very poor, and lack creativity. Not to mention, why do they all sound like they use 1-2 square wave-based basses with Disperser plugin slapped on? (Or a really resonant and steep HPF.)
Then again, probably slapped together by DJs that have all the marketing connections.
Maybe I should just ignore charts. Even AR guys make whiny youtube videos that the charts are absolute trash. x D Well... it's kind of the AR guys' fault, isn't it?

Edit: by childhood favorites I mean stuff like: I thought Will Smith's Miami song was original... Then I heard 'And the beat goes on'
Or listen to Juicy Fruit by Mtume. Somebody ripped that off, too.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 3077
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 14 Sep 2023

RobC wrote:
14 Sep 2023
Maybe I should just ignore charts. Even AR guys make whiny youtube videos that the charts are absolute trash. x D Well... it's kind of the AR guys' fault, isn't it?
Since the original Napster came along the charts only show the musical taste of people who do not know how to get their music for free. So they're basically irrelevant.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 518
Joined: 21 May 2015
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post 15 Sep 2023

wendylou wrote:
13 Sep 2023
I just discovered the 1997 album "Music for Pleasure" by Monaco (from Peter Hook, New Order bassist). I really like the female harmonies on Tender, and the sha-la-la in What do you want from me?. Lot's of chorused bass and catchiness, dripping in "you ruined my life" lyrics! :lol:
Was just listening..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hook
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

RobC
Posts: 1857
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 15 Sep 2023

jam-s wrote:
14 Sep 2023
RobC wrote:
14 Sep 2023
Maybe I should just ignore charts. Even AR guys make whiny youtube videos that the charts are absolute trash. x D Well... it's kind of the AR guys' fault, isn't it?
Since the original Napster came along the charts only show the musical taste of people who do not know how to get their music for free. So they're basically irrelevant.
Yeah, but I miss those simple days, especially in the 90s, where you could always find a good song playing on any medium (be it radio or tv). Now we gotta make an effort to find good music. x D But even the indie youtube channels ~ the more popular they get, the worse the songs become. It all becomes music made by a formula. Maybe it's all AI music already.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11222
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 16 Sep 2023

An all time classic psychedelic trance track from Deedrah/GMS. Instant moving feet song:
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 1070
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 17 Sep 2023

Tend the flame

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 2405
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2023

Right now I'm listening to my neighbour blasting Smashing Pumpkins, he's a real 90s dude and has a steady rotation of Nirvana, Alice In Chains, System of a Down etc. In his more mellow moments he'll go for Oasis or the Cranberries, all super loud with the doors & windows wide open

Doesn't bother me too much, but it does reinforce my opinion that apart from a few bright moments, the 90s was the worst-ever decade for music

User avatar
killhamster
Posts: 132
Joined: 02 Aug 2019
Location: Portland, OR

Post 19 Sep 2023

I've been in a really low place lately so it's pretty much been all Alice in Chains, but I promise I'm not the guy blasting it out the door.

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 2405
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Sep 2023

killhamster wrote:
19 Sep 2023
I've been in a really low place lately so it's pretty much been all Alice in Chains, but I promise I'm not the guy blasting it out the door.
You'd have to be blasting it pretty loud for me to hear it from Portland OR. Anyway yesterday he had Dinosaur Jr on high rotation and I'm completely fine with that. Sorry to hear about the low place though, hope things improve mate

robussc
Posts: 528
Joined: 03 May 2022

Post 20 Sep 2023

Great choice @aosta - State Azure is always good listening.

I had a long drive this weekend and I was accompanied by the otherworldy AURORA - what a voice + creative talent, and when she performs she so obviously just inhabits the music. This is an incredible performance, for such a simple space IMHO:

Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 3077
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 21 Sep 2023

Aurora is one of a kind and really great. Now following some youtube related suggestions I landed here:



Quite different in style, but not bad either ;)

Troublemecca
Posts: 151
Joined: 04 Jun 2018

Post 21 Sep 2023

This was out a couple weeks ago, loving everything about the production, mixing, lyrics, performance, arrangement, top notch.


robussc
Posts: 528
Joined: 03 May 2022

Post 22 Sep 2023

jam-s wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Aurora is one of a kind and really great. Now following some youtube related suggestions I landed here:
Quite different in style, but not bad either ;)
You're not kidding - how many styles did they pack into that track?! :lol:
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 3857
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 28 Sep 2023

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Popey
Competition Winner
Posts: 2113
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 29 Sep 2023

Currently remixing this for a fun competition. Not my usual genre but I am really liking neev's voice.


User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11222
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 29 Sep 2023

Out here we are sto...ed...

Reason12, Win10

User avatar
jappe
Moderator
Posts: 2441
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2023

Elegant Machinery, a band from my home town in Sweden.

One of the songs from a really good album for those who like Human League & Depeche:



User avatar
miyaru
Posts: 630
Joined: 28 Oct 2019
Location: Zaanstad, The Netherlands

Post 06 Oct 2023

This afternoon I bought myself an album by Sly and Robbie called Dub Sessions 1979-1985.

Excellent old school dub on vinyl, and brand new. A release from 2016 on Jamaican Recordings from London.

Nice, very nice. i can not let you taste it on Spotify, as it is not there to listen.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2594
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 10 Oct 2023



These guys fuckin slam.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11818
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 10 Oct 2023

jam-s wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Aurora is one of a kind and really great. Now following some youtube related suggestions I landed here:



Quite different in style, but not bad either ;)
That was awesome. Their fun is infectious, can't help but be smiling when listening to this!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 3077
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 10 Oct 2023

selig wrote:
10 Oct 2023
That was awesome. Their fun is infectious, can't help but be smiling when listening to this!
Yeah, they really know how to infuse lots of fun and easily play with various genres:


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests