What have you been listening to?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
robussc

08 Aug 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Aug 2023
Yep, I love Blondie but have never really loved that album and the production is a big part of the problem. To my ears, it anticipates a really bad period in music production generally. People can be very nostalgic about the 80s and certain 80s sounds (gated reverb on the snare!) but I spent a good part of the 80s wondering what the fuck was happening in studios to make everything sound so weak and flat and tinny. There are quite a few 80s bands that I feel I should like, but can't get past their horrible-sounding recordings (e.g. The Smiths)
Yeah, and then suddenly things became amazing. Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing is an incredible production. And I'm still blown away by David Sylvian's Gone to Earth. Digital mixing really showed its worth very quickly.

Of course, Paul Simon's Graceland set the bar for next level production in the mid 80s. I think that album alone sold a ton of CD players.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2023

I was just transferring some music from CDs to my iPad via my PC and I thought I'd drag some of my own tracks onto the iPad (as some Apple update a while back wiped all of the "unlicenced" stuff off of it).
Anyhoo, I ended up listening to some of the tracks I made back in the 2006 + era when Reason was newish to me and my brain could come up with many more ideas than it can now. Apart from a desire to mix things a bit more pro I was taken aback by the stereo-ness and work that went into those tracks. Some of the weirder stuff made me giggle (I had a type to speech program that got used and abused back in the day) and I generally enjoyed the nostalgic moment (not everything wiggled my wiggle stick but the good stuff was good (to me)).
I think life is a bit cruel - when I started I didn't have much gear yet I always had ideas and now I have some great gear but a new track takes months to finish, and that rarely happens due to the tapering of interest after the initial 8 bar "this is groovy" stage of track development.

Make the best of your youth guys!

Grum.

Aosta

11 Aug 2023

After going down an Eminem rap rabbit hole on youtube I came to this and it jarred my brain, the video is so creative :thumbup:

Tend the flame

robussc

11 Aug 2023

Grumbleweed wrote:
11 Aug 2023
I was just transferring some music from CDs to my iPad via my PC and I thought I'd drag some of my own tracks onto the iPad (as some Apple update a while back wiped all of the "unlicenced" stuff off of it).
Anyhoo, I ended up listening to some of the tracks I made back in the 2006 + era when Reason was newish to me and my brain could come up with many more ideas than it can now. Apart from a desire to mix things a bit more pro I was taken aback by the stereo-ness and work that went into those tracks. Some of the weirder stuff made me giggle (I had a type to speech program that got used and abused back in the day) and I generally enjoyed the nostalgic moment (not everything wiggled my wiggle stick but the good stuff was good (to me)).
I think life is a bit cruel - when I started I didn't have much gear yet I always had ideas and now I have some great gear but a new track takes months to finish, and that rarely happens due to the tapering of interest after the initial 8 bar "this is groovy" stage of track development.

Grum.
I recognize that. I also recently went on a trip down memory lane and listened to some stuff I made in the 90's & 00's. As you say a mixed bag, but there were some things in there that weren't too painful. I've made a plan to update the promising ones now that I also have *all* the gear I ever dreamed of to try and get me back into the creative mind frame.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2023

robussc wrote:
11 Aug 2023
Grumbleweed wrote:
11 Aug 2023

Grum.
I recognize that. I also recently went on a trip down memory lane and listened to some stuff I made in the 90's & 00's. As you say a mixed bag, but there were some things in there that weren't too painful. I've made a plan to update the promising ones now that I also have *all* the gear I ever dreamed of to try and get me back into the creative mind frame.
I've sometimes considered dragging up an old track and redoing it modern-stylee but what a track is called when published has no bearing on the name it had when it was started, plus I used to rewire a lot to Sonar back then so major chunks would be missing anyway. I must also admit that my various PC upgrades have not been kind to some older stuff that got left behind (but I've always kept the finished tracks as WAVs and MP3s).

Grum.

Loque

19 Aug 2023

Some old "psychedelic experience"... They are still making shows...
Reason12, Win10

challism

22 Aug 2023

I dont use social media, so I just heard this for the first time a couple days ago and can't stop listening to it. My family are probably getting sick of this song, but I'm not yet there. I'm sure many of you have already heard it. I guess it's gone totally viral because the lyrics and raw emotions strike a chord with so many, myself included. Not to get political, but I wish people could see it's not (shouldn't be) Left vs Right, as the power elite want you to believe; divide and conquer. Sad times we are living in.

Nice mix genre version here:
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ichooselife

22 Aug 2023

wolfclub but not with thier usual man singer the ones featuring dora pareli big fan hope they employ her and sack the male singer

rorystorm

23 Aug 2023

Crude's album Inner City Guitar Perspectives. Crude is just this one guy from Dunedin and he really is a genius... his music's quite challenging but really interesting, primarily garage rock but also bits of free jazz, improvised noise, musique concrete, synth blarps.... and quite strange but also with this incredible sense of melody. Like, he'll play what sounds like a completely out of tune, random atonal guitar solo but then layer it with a bunch of sax overdubs and they'll all follow the same crazy pattern of out of tune notes, or there's this one where there's a melody with this really odd noise, and then you realise he's feeding a mic back through an amp, but it's multi-tracked and he's getting the same feedback on each track but there all different performances. It's quite amazing. and the drumming is fantastic.

Anyway you can listen to it here and judge for yourself.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... cOS0ySF-jw

Plus his lyrics are hilarious and very dry.

If you like it, then these are also really great records

Ichooselife

23 Aug 2023

challism wrote:
22 Aug 2023
I dont use social media, so I just heard this for the first time a couple days ago and can't stop listening to it. My family are probably getting sick of this song, but I'm not yet there. I'm sure many of you have already heard it. I guess it's gone totally viral because the lyrics and raw emotions strike a chord with so many, myself included. Not to get political, but I wish people could see it's not (shouldn't be) Left vs Right, as the power elite want you to believe; divide and conquer. Sad times we are living in.

Nice mix genre version here:
i liked it when it was just the ginger guy

Ichooselife

23 Aug 2023

Ichooselife

23 Aug 2023

Neo wrote:
19 Jul 2023
Human Tetris
https://www.facebook.com/humantetrismoscow
really enjoyed the music not the voice

Neo

27 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
23 Aug 2023
Neo wrote:
19 Jul 2023
Human Tetris
really enjoyed the music not the voice
:thumbs_up:
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2023

Not a song but bill Bailey is a great musician as, well as comedian

plaamook

08 Sep 2023

I can’t say I’ve been listening to this so much as I can’t get it out of my head. It’s ridiculous adolescent stuff but it’s trippy as hell and aparently really catchy. I wish it would go away though.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Ichooselife

08 Sep 2023

plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023

I can’t say I’ve been listening to this so much as I can’t get it out of my head. It’s ridiculous adolescent stuff but it’s trippy as hell and aparently really catchy. I wish it would go away though.
plaamook you only like it with the video though right ? no spotify versions 😂😂

plaamook

08 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
08 Sep 2023
plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023

No. I found it on Spotify. Which also has a micro video. It’s a long story…

Anyway, I don’t ‘like’ it as such. But I’m considering surgical options to get rid of it.

Or here.

Ichooselife

08 Sep 2023

plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
08 Sep 2023

Anyway, I don’t ‘like’ it as such. But I’m considering surgical options to get rid of it.
video was mildly entertaining , song was rubbish 😂

i like female bands and i always move with the times here’s one i found lately

https://spotify.link/bDj1jt75VCb

plaamook

08 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
08 Sep 2023
plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023

Micro vid on Spotify is better. Whatever that means.
Funny thing is I’m going through a classical Indian phase again. Ragas. Woohoo. But if I turn it off I’ve got that pink junk in my head again.

Or here.

Ichooselife

08 Sep 2023

plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
08 Sep 2023

Micro vid on Spotify is better. Whatever that means.
Funny thing is I’m going through a classical Indian phase again. Ragas. Woohoo. But if I turn it off I’ve got that pink junk in my head again.
just a little loop on spotify aint it ?

Aosta

08 Sep 2023

Tend the flame

jam-s

08 Sep 2023

plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023

As an alternative you could try to replace it with some other catchy post-punk with a little more substance like bondage fairies for example:

;) :twisted:

plaamook

09 Sep 2023

jam-s wrote:
08 Sep 2023
plaamook wrote:
08 Sep 2023

As an alternative you could try to replace it with some other catchy post-punk with a little more substance like bondage fairies for example:

;) :twisted:
Thanks man. I appreciate the help. But really, I don’t much like punk or anything like it. Violent femmes aside but that’s got sentimental value.
No…I’m gonna stick w raga bhimpalasi for now.
I’m plundering Spotify for lost early ragas by Ravi shankar. His early stuff was great but it needs remastering sommink fierce.

Funny name though. Bondage fairies. 😂

Or here.

rorystorm

12 Sep 2023

Had this stuck in my head tonight.

Generally I hate Nick Cave but I really do have a soft spot for this song

Jackjackdaw

12 Sep 2023

Heard this Dee Byrne track on JtoZ a few weeks ago (BBC radio3 jazz program). Been sessioning the album ‘Outlines’ since. It’s a bit of a racket but I like that kind of thing. Also love the clarinet , I’m always hunting for contemporary clarinet inspiration.

• Information