What have you been listening to?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
rorystorm

18 Apr 2022

massive, underrated piece of NZ post punk from the early 80s. Stomping beat, fantastic lyrics, the whole deal.

littlejam

18 Apr 2022

hello,

here is another dope gerry rafferty song (extended version)

in elementary school i wanted to learn how to play the sax
my dad said no to instruments in the house
what a bummer

again, reading different explanations about the song is interesting

@challism: i watched the whole kravitz bowl skit
it's fun to laugh this hard at 3am in brooklyn
thanks

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Apr 2022

Inspired by (my vision of) the current state of the forum:

dvdrtldg

24 Apr 2022

rorystorm wrote:
18 Apr 2022
massive, underrated piece of NZ post punk from the early 80s. Stomping beat, fantastic lyrics, the whole deal.

You had me at "NZ post punk". This is awesome. Such a great era for NZ (and Australian) music, tons of amazing bands that never really got on the radar

rorystorm

24 Apr 2022

So good, huh. I was too young to have seen them at the time but some of those early and mid 80s bands like the pin group and the Gordon's and the rip mean a lot to me. Children's hour mutated into the headless chickens whose first couple of releases are amazing. A friend of mine in Dunedin does a great blog called switched out which has a lot of lesser known but awesome stuff you should check out although his nz yacht rock compilations are... well, yeah. Some of those guys ended up in the nz experimental/noise scene which is also fantastic, especially the stuff from the 90s and early 2000s.

Jagwah

27 Apr 2022

Daniel Johns from Silverchair just released his new album and wow... I wish there was some harder stuff but this is really catchy and seems more complex and is pretty amazing

dvdrtldg

28 Apr 2022

rorystorm wrote:
24 Apr 2022
So good, huh. I was too young to have seen them at the time but some of those early and mid 80s bands like the pin group and the Gordon's and the rip mean a lot to me. Children's hour mutated into the headless chickens whose first couple of releases are amazing. A friend of mine in Dunedin does a great blog called switched out which has a lot of lesser known but awesome stuff you should check out although his nz yacht rock compilations are... well, yeah. Some of those guys ended up in the nz experimental/noise scene which is also fantastic, especially the stuff from the 90s and early 2000s.
Excellent, thanks for that. Will check out that blog, it sounds great

challism

28 Apr 2022

Milton Babbitt didn't care if you listened to his music

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rorystorm

29 Apr 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
28 Apr 2022
rorystorm wrote:
24 Apr 2022
Excellent, thanks for that. Will check out that blog, it sounds great
If you don't know them, the other Aotearoa key bands for me are the Terminals, the Dead C, High Dependency Unit, and the Futurians. All quite different but have the same rolling, driving drum style.

rorystorm

29 Apr 2022

Terminals

Dead C

HDU

The Futurians

Full disclosure, I'm in the Futurians video, drunk.

dvdrtldg

29 Apr 2022

Love all those bands, especially The Dead C (and anything else Michael Morley does - big fan of Gate)

NZ is a very advanced nation imo, where else are you going to see something like this on TV

rorystorm

29 Apr 2022

Ha! I'm actually in Dunedin for the weekend and just saw a great afternoon noise show at a gallery. Theres definitely something in the water here, for a small town with a really small scene its insane how good the music here is.

rorystorm

29 Apr 2022

And yeah some of the Gate albums, particularly lavender head and the dew line, really influenced me when I wax making this stuff. Not so in love with the later dead c albums but harsh 70s reality was a turning point for me, amazing record, so sad.

crimsonwarlock

08 May 2022

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

rorystorm

11 May 2022

Imagining a 22 year old MIA hearing this for the first time and going, you know what...

dvdrtldg

12 May 2022

This release has been blowing my tiny mind since it appeared in 2017

The first full-length compact disc release by Gaute Granli features the Stavanger, Norway-based musician using Jandekian guitar and experimental electronics to fashion a hazy, skronky, left-field, blue exotica noir that’s toppled with confusion and discomfort.

The original compositions, often supported by a diseased drum machine and/or jangling guitar loop and/or narcotic-abused electronics, demonstrates a pluckier guitar sound and some “rock song structures” from the member of Scandinavian noise rock band Freddy the Dyke.

“Can’t Have More Fun” is an unhinged romp through a decaying scene of blips and bloops and features sardonic, nonfigurative vocals, while the title track could be an appropriate tune to play over and over and over while stuck inside for eight consecutive months due to the Scandinavian winter.

The sing-along quality of “Medisinert” eventually disintegrates into an abstract curly Q guitar predicament, and then the tune bleeds into “Kennel Soda,” which might lull the listener into a deep sleep on top of a bed of sharp pebbles.

The nine-track album concludes with the penultimate “Middlemådig Blå Blues,” an all-instrumental cold plunge into the inanity of existence, and the final nail in the coffin, “Ride of the Year,” which features vocals by Oslo-based contemporary visual artist and musician Urd J. Pedersen.

littlejam

14 May 2022

hello,

just got stuck on this song again (cover)

the comments are brutal

such a heavenly voice
i guess, god has got her back

(don't know if this has been posted before,
but like i said i got stuck again on her voice)

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

rorystorm

17 May 2022

Sometimes classics is classics for a reason.

rorystorm

17 May 2022

rorystorm wrote:
17 May 2022
Sometimes classics is classics for a reason.

You know Weird Uncle Bob was pretty hot once upon a time.

Jagwah

17 May 2022

Used to dig this wayyy back in the day.

1Andrew1

19 May 2022

Piano music to put my thoughts in place, that's how my day starts

fullforce

19 May 2022

Just discovered this last week. Holy fucking shit.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

rorystorm

21 May 2022

Listening to this today with my oldest kid, who's nonbinary and they got really emotional about it - and who wouldn't because the only people who don't are either robots or soulless libertarians. Never really thought about the queer subtext before.

Aosta

21 May 2022

For one of my favourite artists of all time R.I.P Vangelis

Tend the flame

littlejam

24 May 2022

hello,

i love the soundtrack to blade runner
grabbed some vangelis full albums off the youtube

i'm collecting 'songs to drive to' and what 'mood' you're in
fast speeding / slow chillin / etc

found this hawaiian music
i already know his most popular song
but to grab a whole album
an hour in length
would get me from albuquerque, nm to santa fe in an hour

cheers and eat well
mahalos

j
littlejamaicastudios

• Information