Site Suggestion

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Smedberg

20 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Somehow I don't have sent messages in my Sent folder, maybe I'm doing something wrong & before send I have to check some box, hasn't paid attention to it if that's a problem!
Smedberg wrote:
I saw that also. Have not tried but will send one to you, and check the box saying " save a copy"

Yes, that's it...

Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

Suggestion: If you are increasing the character limit for signature, please please please enable a function that allows us to hide them from view. Oversized signatures only exist to serve the person creating them, and it's wasted screen real estate that others may not care to see. Especially in this age of smartphones with tiny screens, signatures mean a lot more scrolling. There is a forum preference that allows an individual to 'turn off' other people's sigs from view.

While on the topic of screen real estate, what do people think of the nested quoting? It drives me batty. Just the other day, a multiple nested reply took up the height of an entire 27" screen, and the respondent only made a one-line comment !
My Words are my ART

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

The character limit removal is not necessarily to allow giant signatures, but instead to allow users to be able to have all the Reason emoticons in their sigs as well as maybe something else. For some reason the emoticons were taking up almost 70 characters a piece, which doesn't really make much sense, but my only guess is that they were calling on the external urls the pictures were linked from. Trust me, if I see somebody with an unreasonably massive signature I will just remove it myself. It is part of the rules.

As for the nested quotes, not much I can do about that unfortunately. People will just have to make an effort to carve out some fat when they quote. Maybe it can be something the devs can give us an option on in the future but for now we'll just have to deal. If I see something too ridiculous I will try to trim it up myself but I can't be expected to format the whole forum.

esselfortium

20 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:While on the topic of screen real estate, what do people think of the nested quoting? It drives me batty. Just the other day, a multiple nested reply took up the height of an entire 27" screen, and the respondent only made a one-line comment !
It'd be good to have a guideline advising people to trim down large quotes to just the relevant portions being replied to.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote: It'd be good to have a guideline advising people to trim down large quotes to just the relevant portions being replied to.
They say they will being rolling out a new design standard over the next couple of months, so we'll see if there is anything coming along to address that.

Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote: It'd be good to have a guideline advising people to trim down large quotes to just the relevant portions being replied to.
I love this idea, perhaps a locked sticky that suggests people employ 'best practice' for the consideration of others. In some instances, nested quotes are valuable, but for the most part they are redundant.. I mean if you're already in the thread then you're following the whole discussion, and quoting only the person you're addressing should suffice.
My Words are my ART

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I love this idea, perhaps a locked sticky that suggests people employ 'best practice' for the consideration of others. In some instances, nested quotes are valuable, but for the most part they are redundant.. I mean if you're already in the thread then you're following the whole discussion, and quoting only the person you're addressing should suffice.
I added a note to the rules. Maybe they will come out with a feature where you only quote the person you're quoting. Like I said, I am completely beholden to the pace of their dev team.

esselfortium

20 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I love this idea, perhaps a locked sticky that suggests people employ 'best practice' for the consideration of others. In some instances, nested quotes are valuable, but for the most part they are redundant.. I mean if you're already in the thread then you're following the whole discussion, and quoting only the person you're addressing should suffice.
Lunesis wrote:
I added a note to the rules. Maybe they will come out with a feature where you only quote the person you're quoting. Like I said, I am completely beholden to the pace of their dev team.
I think that's how it works on the PUF -- nested quotes are automatically removed. The trouble with that is that sometimes you want a nested quote for proper context, and then you have to manually add it back in by quoting both posts and pasting them inside each other. Though maybe that's worth the tradeoff.

What I mean is just advising users not to quote super-lengthy posts in their entirety, and instead to snip out the sentence or paragraph they're specifically replying to.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote: The trouble with that is that sometimes you want a nested quote for proper context, and then you have to manually add it back in by quoting both posts and pasting them inside each other.
That's where the multiquote function comes into play.
My Words are my ART

Grooq

21 Jan 2015

Just a few ideas re. this new forum:

Moderating the thread titles.  At PUF there used to be many threads with meaningless, or at worst case misleading thread titles, which I regard as an arrogance from the starter of the thread.  I hope this can be avoided here some way. 

Somewhat related: on the Reason music subforum, imho the genre of the posted music should obligatorily be indicated, either in the thread title or some other way. (I am not even thinking of sub-sub forums.)  We all are interested in many music genres, but not interested in many others and some kind of indication would save a lot of time for all of us.  

Better separation of the posts.  Now it is difficult to see, the very light blue hardly differs from the white.  Just a separating fat line would do.

Customisation: pls give us at least the option for a darker skin on this site.

Thanks for the creators/moderators for their job, and let's have a good new Reason forum.

• Information