Controller suggestions for use with Reason?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
tumar

05 Aug 2015

Carly(Poohbear) wrote: So which one is best, the P4 by miles, there are a couple of features on there I really love, the view (Mix, rack and sequencer) buttons, the track change buttons, the bank (patch) change buttons,
I'm not sure about view buttons, but track change and patch select (also faders control, macro etc) can be done literally in every midi controller. It's so easy - open Reason and check Options>Additional Remote Overrides...

Emian

06 Aug 2015

i bought an Nektar Impact LX49 earlier this year for 129 € & i'm really happy with it !
they also offer "Reason Integration" , maybe not on a level like the Panorama's, but still; i can move trough the rack or sequencer window without using the mouse, change presets, adjust parameters & it default allready supports a huge amount of RE's (Antidote, Predator, MonoPoly, Viking, SubBoomBass.... i added Ivoks & Qu4d to the remote list myself & now i only miss a template for Parsec in my list).

I needed a new MIDI-keyboard after my Edirol PCR-30 died on me this year, & i believe i eyeballed the Akai mpk49 first too, but damn, i'm happy i pulled the trigger on the Nektar LX49 (wich must have slipped under my radar as i tought they only had a Panorama series).
very affordable yet very well integrated & great usability.

here's the video that has woken my interrest.

Hope this is of help to you ! :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

tumar

11 Aug 2015

Emian wrote: they also offer "Reason Integration" , maybe not on a level like the Panorama's, but still; i can move trough the rack or sequencer window without using the mouse, change presets, adjust parameters
So once again - you can do it with ANY midi controller! Just open Reason, go to Options > Additional Remote Overrides.

gak

12 Aug 2015

I love my impact (nektar) but there is a bug:

Open reason, put in an instance of kong. Tap the pad you want, move the pan/vol/etc.....works groovy. Then change the kit. Pads 4/8 no longer work UNLESS you turn the nektar on/off (then it's fine)

Confirmed bug, who knows when they'll fix it. I had a novation impulse, it was a NIGHTMARE in reason. Just horrible (not bad in studio one or live though)

thala

12 Aug 2015

ordered a maschine mk2 yesterday. will try it with maschineR maybe. but first i am really insterested in the drag and drop feature of audio clips. drag and drop between both aplications :)

Emian

12 Aug 2015

tumar wrote:
Emian wrote: they also offer "Reason Integration" , maybe not on a level like the Panorama's, but still; i can move trough the rack or sequencer window without using the mouse, change presets, adjust parameters
So once again - you can do it with ANY midi controller! Just open Reason, go to Options > Additional Remote Overrides.
Ok, didn't know that before, but anyway, there's no mapping needded at all in case of the Nektar, it's allready there.
Also: faders 1-8 of the Impact autamatically map to the Amp & Filter Envelopes when selecting a synth (including many RE's).
That i find really usefull !

Emian

12 Aug 2015

gak wrote:I love my impact (nektar) but there is a bug:

Open reason, put in an instance of kong. Tap the pad you want, move the pan/vol/etc.....works groovy. Then change the kit. Pads 4/8 no longer work UNLESS you turn the nektar on/off (then it's fine)

Confirmed bug, who knows when they'll fix it. I had a novation impulse, it was a NIGHTMARE in reason. Just horrible (not bad in studio one or live though)
Didn't know that, but i still use a ReDrum & Euclid to control my Kong trough CV, so the pads are rarely used over here, except when browsing patches for a preview....

tumar

23 Aug 2015

Emian wrote:
tumar wrote:
Ok, didn't know that before, but anyway, there's no mapping needded at all in case of the Nektar, it's allready there.
Also: faders 1-8 of the Impact autamatically map to the Amp & Filter Envelopes when selecting a synth (including many RE's).
That i find really usefull !
Sorry for late answer ;)
It depends on midi controller. I have ancient Edirol PCR 300 (discontinued) and it came pretty premapped for Reason, like Panorama. Putting LCD aside, it's even better than Panorama, because you select instrument/track in rack dialling infinite jog knob (I like it! ;) ).
You can also change patches etc. without mouse and without mapping. Of course, it had no premapped REs, but there are many ready remote maps to download.

klmfavorite

24 Aug 2015

I have Novation Impulse but I do not plan to use it with Reason until I use it with Ableton which is supposed to be more seamless.

mreese80

08 Dec 2015

The best controller for reason is the Novation Impulse. I got the 49 key. it is flawless with reason. i wish it came with 16 drum pads. thats my only complaint.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

jonheal

09 Dec 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Yes, they have been focused on Bitwig since January. "Splittahs!" ;)
Why those lying, cheating, philandering weasels ...
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

jfrichards

13 Dec 2015

I LOVE my MPK88. Great for piano, synth, MPC/Kong, more faders, buttons and knobs than I have ever needed, instant arpeggiation, and sustain pedal use for punch-in. Pain in the butt for touring unless you have roadies (thing is huge, like a Fender Twin), but wonderful for a studio centerpiece. The keyboard is not good for organ style, sliding is too hard, so many synth players will not like it. I love the full size of it for synth and the commanding feel of the keyboard that forces you to focus on melody and power.

Skullture

13 Dec 2015

I've been looking into the P1 for a while now but I still don't see the value of using it. Unless you really hate working with a mouse.

I'll stick to my Oxygen 49 (which I rarely use, but still..)

mreese80

09 Jan 2016

Does anybody know if its possible for me to change patches from my novation impulse instead of clicking the mouse? I am using Reason
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

• Information