I Would Like To Know What Your Problem is With iLok

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2021

The SSL Essentials Bundle is on sale, and I jumped on it without even thinking. Didn't even care that it requires iLok. You know why??? Because I've never ever EVER had problems with iLok. In fact, I find it somewhat more convenient vs a simple ID/Password protection scheme because I can just plug the iLok in and be done with it. So I'm reading some of the reactions to the SSL deal on various forums and I keep seeing iLok complainers. So what the hell is your deal?

Here's an example of feedback from the SOS forum:

"A PITA, as ever when iLok is involved. I couldn't get the auth window to show up for one of the plugs. I've sorted it out with a little help from a hidden window gathering utility.

I really hate it whenever iLok is involved - there's always something I need to fix. :( "

I'm on Mac, always been on a Mac, have been using an iLok for years and not ONCE have I even noticed it was there. Have TONS of plugins that require iLok. Seriously, not one. single. issue. ever. for YEARS. Like, YEEEEEEEEARS.

So is this mainly a Windows thing??? Is this maybe a computer literacy issue where you just can't figure out how to work it?? Does it interfere/drain your CPU? I seriously want to know what the deal is.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

bxbrkrz

13 Feb 2021

No problem with Ilok since I only use Reason Suite 11 on my beautiful Windows machine. I think it is fine to share your frustrations on a forum called SOS, obviously.
As long you can make cool beats, Ilok or not, music brings joy into people's heart, and a smile to people's face :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2021

iLok totally ok for me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

13 Feb 2021

I only dislike the requirement by some devs to use an iLok USB key.

Some devs like McDSP and Slate require the USB key. The USB key should only serve as a convenience to the user, not a requirement. The devs are under the impression that the computer auth option is not as secure.

So for a couple plugins I own, I use iLok Cloud. Not the worst, and it's better than no option, but it's weird having different iLok auth types for plugins running on the same computer. I would still like the option to authorize my computer.

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2021

Yeah, I totally understand how dongles turn off some people. I'm more curious about all these technical issues some people seem to have with iLok. I've got 2 E-licensers, 2 iLoks and Propellerhead's Ignition Key and I've never had any sort of technical issues with any of them.
Last edited by hurricane on 13 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

zoidkirb

13 Feb 2021

Never had an issue with the software ilok. I have seen a very small vocal minority who have lost everything (they claim) through no fault of their own....I think because because of things like accidental corruption and hdd crashes.
I've had a usb e-licenser for years as well, and it is susceptible to windows updates, so usually once or twice a year an update will 'break' it and I have to manually go and install the newest e-license software.

tronam

14 Feb 2021

I used to avoid iLok, but over the past few years have grown to appreciate being able to batch authorize 100+ plugins on a computer in a matter of seconds. I recently swapped out a laptop and the convenient license management has become one of my favorite aspects of it. My main gripe is the occasional developer who are stingey with their licenses. Thankfully the vast majority offer 2 or 3 licenses you can machine authorize, place on a hardware key, and/or access via iLok cloud. I just wish all developers were consistent about these authorization methods.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

stillifegaijin

15 Feb 2021

No problem with iLok. I actually really like it and always have.

plaamook

15 Feb 2021

I've had fewer probs w iLok (0) than with codemeter anyway...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

zabukowski

15 Feb 2021

Never had any issues with iLok - running together with Codemeter and eLicenser like a happy family :D :thumbup:

EdGrip

17 Feb 2021

I basically feel if U-he and other similarly large plugin companies can make it work without iLok, so can everyone else.

jlgrimes

17 Feb 2021

i have mixed feelings with it.

These days not all programs that use ilok require hardware dongles. Hardware dongles does have its good points but for things like portability and things being able to use software on two machines is what I prefer best. It all depends though. Most software without dongles that allow multiple authorizations, I don't run into any issues with but some are more restrictive than others and even in more restrictive cases it usually isn't that much of a big deal to sort out.

Most iLok soft accounts are about the same type of deal. These days it more just how the developers chose to handle their copy protection. Only Iloks deals I have issues with are programs that only allow authorization on one machine and this is becoming more rare these days I guess as more users aren't liking it. But ilok itself isn't really an issue.

iLoks can be a bit confusing though as every manufacturer that use iLok works a bit different. For some it is just an option. Others use the soft iLok. Some work on iLok 1 hardware, others require iLok 2 hardware. These keys cost money as well and while I never had one break, something in the back of your head is always wondering if one breaks or if you run into an issue where you need a hub. For Live performance laptops I don't use any hardware dongles as it is too risky IMO.

jam-s

17 Feb 2021

If they only made the iLok USB key as small as those tiny USB drives that barely protrude the USB port. Then it would be ideal imho.

TheGodOfRainbows

17 Feb 2021

I use iLock software. Will that work with this? I don’t understand why there needs to be a physical dongle when there is the software version.

adfielding

19 Feb 2021

My only issue with iLok in the past was when it required a physical dongle. Now that that's no longer a requirement, I'm mostly cool with it.

I say "mostly" because if you activate a bit of software on a machine, and then either forget to deactivate it or are unable to due to the machine being put out of commission, it's not particularly easy to recover that license. Of course, this isn't a problem if you're using a dongle - an irony which is not lost on me!

But yeah, I took the plunge a few years ago with soft-iLok and I've had no real issues with it. It certainly beats having to use a bunch of different authentication schemes when re-installing everything.

First started using iLok on a Mac btw, now using it with zero issues in Windows :)

joeyluck

19 Feb 2021

adfielding wrote:
19 Feb 2021
My only issue with iLok in the past was when it required a physical dongle. Now that that's no longer a requirement, I'm mostly cool with it.

I say "mostly" because if you activate a bit of software on a machine, and then either forget to deactivate it or are unable to due to the machine being put out of commission, it's not particularly easy to recover that license. Of course, this isn't a problem if you're using a dongle - an irony which is not lost on me!

But yeah, I took the plunge a few years ago with soft-iLok and I've had no real issues with it. It certainly beats having to use a bunch of different authentication schemes when re-installing everything.

First started using iLok on a Mac btw, now using it with zero issues in Windows :)
Well depends on the plugins you use. For instance, McDSP still doesn't allow computer authorization. You need a USB dongle or you can use iLok Cloud which is what I use. Still not sure why they don't trust computer authorization.

QVprod

19 Feb 2021

No issues, maybe it was problem in the past but the iLok manager works great and most companies give you enough authorizations. Found the need for a physical iLok for Slate VMS annoying when I didn't have one, but now that I do.... no big deal. Forget it's there most of the time.

Billy+

19 Feb 2021

I generally don't like copy protection devices as their more an inconvenience for the legitimate user as most software seems to have some kind of defeat available which just leaves legitimate user running all the extra software and services while those who will quite happily use pirate software free to do so.

If you can take your licenses with you and use other machines while working with your purchased licenses then their an advantage, but in mostly cases it's just an inconvenience.

adfielding

20 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Feb 2021
Well depends on the plugins you use. For instance, McDSP still doesn't allow computer authorization. You need a USB dongle or you can use iLok Cloud which is what I use. Still not sure why they don't trust computer authorization.
That's a good point - I remember in the past that Slate required a physical dongle to even try their stuff. I was interested in FG-X at the time, but I wasn't about to buy an iLok just to demo it. Instead I went with Elevate when it came along... which is kind of funny considering that it, too, requires iLok - just not a dongle :)

• Information