POLL: Do you use any music making mobile app?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Poll: Do you use any mobile music making app?

Yes, frequently
16%
Yes, but not very often
31%
No, never
53%

Total votes: 64
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

I'm just curious since I suspect Propellerhead will move in this direction more and more.

Feel free to make a comment on what app(s) you're using.

soroc sosta

18 Aug 2019

Caustic! Because it's laid out just like Reason.
https://singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

+ Awesome sample editor, sound engine, and export options.
- No randomizer on synths and Latency kills it for me (on android)

Really surprised Props haven't acquired this app.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Caustic! Because it's laid out just like Reason.
https://singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

+ Awesome sample editor, sound engine, and export options.
- No randomizer on synths and Latency kills it for me (on android)

Really surprised Props haven't acquired this app.
I love Caustic. With a MIDI keyboard it would be the perfect portable synth collection - if it wasn't for the latency :(
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

18 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019

I love Caustic. With a MIDI keyboard it would be the perfect portable synth collection - if it wasn't for the latency :(
My car would be the perfect boat - if it floated.

Zac

18 Aug 2019

Caustic but not very often. Also bought FL mobile but it takes up too much space. If I had a tablet I might use apps more but even on a 5 inch 1080 screen i find them too fiddly.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
18 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019

Well, have you tried it? :twisted:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

18 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Aug 2019
boingy wrote:
18 Aug 2019

Well, have you tried it? :twisted:
Good point. Back in a mo...

dioxide

18 Aug 2019

I've tried a few, but no. If I need to do anything creative, I switch the laptop on. It's as mobile as an iPad.

demt

18 Aug 2019

tried it but i should read the manual to many leaps of faith
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

reggie1979

18 Aug 2019

I can't be bothered with it. Too small to do anything and my ipad is always at home so no need to use that.

kuhliloach

18 Aug 2019

my portable rig is mainly garageband and korg gadget with akai mpk mini and irig pro

Aria Salvatrice

18 Aug 2019

Trying to write songs on mobile feels like a bad joke, and I have zero interest handicapping myself by in using Reason on a tiny touchscreen, but I like small apps that facilitate the music creation process.

On Android, I've been using:

- Chordbot. Decent way to get a song structure going. A bit limited and clunky, but a good song starter, with MIDI export.

- edjing mix - I used that one recently to scratch a sample, and the free version was all I needed for pretty convincing results. I don't imagine that advanced turntablism techniques work with it, but for basic effects it's much more convenient than anything on PC. Unfortunately, it can only record to 128Kbps Mp3. (Hey RE devs, there's a niche to fill here)

- TouchOSC - Surprisingly easy to get going with Reason. I didn't buy the expensive but exhaustive Retouch templates, I just made my own in the editor to have stuff like XY pads to play live a single combinator:

NekujaK

18 Aug 2019

When I first got my iPad, I wrote/recorded 5 songs using Garage Band, complete with full arrangements, vocals, harmonies, etc. They didn't turn out half bad, but realistically, they're basically demos.

IMHO, it's pointless to subject myself to the restrictions of a mobile device when I have a computer readily available. However, if I were on the go, or didn't have access to a computer for an extended period of time, a mobile device would be the next best thing.

Wasn't there a Gorillaz album recorded entirely on an iPad in hotel rooms, using a variety of apps?
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

reasonsuser88

18 Aug 2019

Mobile apps make me think of sick pigeons on a dirty street corner.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

Jmax

19 Aug 2019

Yes, I've started using Reason Compact on my iPad frequently. It's simple yet complex. It will develop with more features intruments, rack options. There are quite a few sounds and the arp and chords are pretty nice with all the options. I keep discovering stuff. We really need some sort of mixer option to add instrument lines. Right now there are only 3, with 8 patterns to edit. No automation as of yet. But overall pretty wicked. And there's easy export to WAV. Better saving options are also needed.

Jackjackdaw

19 Aug 2019

Designing Europa patches in Compact while I am horizontal on the couch is great. Every other ios music app I have bought I consider a waste of money.

DrGOA®

19 Aug 2019

Never! If you want to make music mobile then use your laptop.
Last edited by DrGOA® on 19 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

adfielding

19 Aug 2019

I dabble with Reason Compact, and I bought the Thor iOS app a while ago... I also dabble with Korg Gadget when I'm out and about, but tbh I'm not overly productive with any of them. Could just be because I'm using an iPad Mini and an iPhone SE (because I like my portable devices to be, y'know, portable) which makes things fiddly, but I prefer a "sit-down-and-make-noise" approach. That said, I do want to dabble with my options a little more as I feel like using my iPad as an external sound source rather than a self-contained device could be really fun.

Also, I find the vitriol surrounding mobile music making to be kind of funny - sort of like a more rubbish version of the tired old "analog v digital" debates.

reddust

19 Aug 2019

dioxide wrote:
18 Aug 2019
I've tried a few, but no. If I need to do anything creative, I switch the laptop on. It's as mobile as an iPad.
Same for me, I have several apps installed on my mobile and tablet but I have never done anything more than just test them and close them after a couple of minutes just to switch on my laptop and do everything I need to do on it.

For me it doesn't make much sense to work on my tablet with its limitations and after that needing to transfer the work to the laptop to continue my work when I can do everything directly on the laptop.

reasonsuser88

19 Aug 2019

adfielding wrote:
19 Aug 2019
Also, I find the vitriol surrounding mobile music making to be kind of funny - sort of like a more rubbish version of the tired old "analog v digital" debates.
More rubbish?!

A lot of electronic music producers engineer their mixes as they compose music. This is one good reason why mobile music making is a joke. It's not like taking a guitar to the beach and singing a folk song.

Then what is it? An idea pad. No thanks. Better off watching a YouTube video on a train.

adfielding

19 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
19 Aug 2019
More rubbish?!

A lot of electronic music producers engineer their mixes as they compose music. This is one good reason why mobile music making is a joke. It's not like taking a guitar to the beach and singing a folk song.

Then what is it? An idea pad. No thanks. Better off watching a YouTube video on a train.
It's a means of performing & getting ideas down that plenty of people find useful. I am not one of those people, but I don't see the point in getting annoyed by something that has zero impact on me or my preferred method of writing.

reasonsuser88

19 Aug 2019

adfielding wrote:
19 Aug 2019

It's a means of performing & getting ideas down that plenty of people find useful. I am not one of those people, but I don't see the point in getting annoyed by something that has zero impact on me or my preferred method of writing.
I'm not annoyed but there are valid reasons to not put too many eggs in this basket. I wouldn't be quick to write this off as just another rubbish comparison. Two very different horses and one of them is handicapped. :horse:

w1pl0c

19 Aug 2019

Koala sampler ios

boingy

19 Aug 2019

adfielding wrote:
19 Aug 2019
...the tired old "analog v digital" debates.
/quote]

Now THAT is the most sensible thing in this whole thread. I refuse to get involved in mobile music making until they make a version of Reason that runs on an old, analogue mobile phone.

• Information