Goodbye Hydlide?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
electricthing

29 Oct 2018

Maybe this guy is right, I don't know. But I find his behaviour erratic. For instance; the way he expects the Props to respond to him. A company has a strategy, know how. It's all part of the company assets and an outsider is mostly not welcome to interfere with that. The way that Hydlide puts himself on the same level as the company (and other parts of Hydlide's behaviour) makes me take his remarks with a grain of salt. It makes me question his judgement.
His technical know how might be on the same level but that does not make him a equal player on company level.
If he is right that there is a major flaw in Reason's soundengine that prevents use of multithreading on new systems, it will have to be dealt with by the Props. And I think Props will deal with it when the market forces them to do so. Maybe they already planned it for Reason 11. I always think that companies have a longer planning than most customers think. Customers want everything now, companies want to spread the income in a few years the least.
I don't mind that as long as they don't change the upgrade pricing scheme like Cubase did (when they lost me)
Why would the props have to communicate to Hydlide about that?
If Reason has a flaw and the props won't react to future market demands and let Reason be a sketchbook in stead of a fullfletched DAW then the brand is in jeopardy.
Most important with Hydlides videos for me is that I can't tell the know how from the personal issues. And that makes his videos not quite professional. Not being professional is no problem when it comes to creative content, very often that goes hand in hand, but it is when dealing with a company.

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

Alright, so now it's time to spill the beans since your license got revoked. And it better be good. And I hope you have a solid conclusion with proof, not just "I think the problem lies with Reason's engine" which is like a big DUH cuz everyone already had that idea. So, I hope you have something mind-blowing, otherwise this was just a big waste of time and you lost your license for nothing. And I'm actually on your side. So let's get this party started.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Jagwah

29 Oct 2018

Last edited by Jagwah on 29 Oct 2018, edited 3 times in total.

Oquasec

29 Oct 2018

Reason is honestly either a sketchbook or a full daw since version 5.
Refills & The built in modules of reason 5 did everything already and anything added after reason 5 was essentially just bells & whistles.
Something like Reason 7 for example, was a huge leap in terms of how it handled plugins inside & outside of reason.
(Like being able to control any external plugin without rewire using reason piano roll & automation)
---------------------
But at the same time, each user will have different opinions about what propeller-head's main focus & next move should be.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

antic604

29 Oct 2018

Man, I love Hydelide's videos when he talks about devices, sound design, CV tricks, does music tutorials, etc. but videos like this latest one make me feel uneasy. His delivery coupled with that maniacal, nervous laughter make me feel like he's on brink of some mental breakdown. There's 25 minutes of footage and we don't really get to see or hear about the findings of his analysis of Reason 8 in 2016 nor do we get any black & white comparisons of performance of his i9 vs. old i7 (I'm assuming the old computer is still around)*. Just some very vague "core issues, no pun intended" as if it even means anything. For example the assertion that it all started with REs. Obviously REs would have different performance profile than stock devices, because a) they're not done by Props, b) Props were coding for efficiency, 3rd party devs didn't have to and some of them were more ambitious with their devices (and/or not as skilled in optimising their code) c) there's an API layer between Reason and RE code that definitely provides some overhead, I'd speculate higher than for VSTs.

I have a lot of respect for the guy for his knowledge, passion and dedication and will continue to watch his stuff regardless of what he decides next, but that's just not the way to get around those things. Be concrete, analytical and precise. Maybe do a test project & ask people to run it on their machines to compare the results. Maybe ask 3rd party RE developers for incognito interview to hear their story, etc.

* yes, I saw his 1st videos about i9 performance but they were flawed in that he was using a single polyphonic instance of Expanse and - as everyone is aware, right? - most devices will only use single thread/core, so it's possible to choke a CPU even if it's multi-core; he should probably try Serum or some of the U-He's synths, as they support multi-core processors for separate voices.

DOEXmusic

29 Oct 2018

This has been a problem for me also. I feel like Reason is restricting my creativity because of the high CPU usage on my laptop. Something needs to be done and I hope is soon. I believe that Propellerhead will come with a good solution!! :)

Loque

29 Oct 2018

Just wanted to note, that i made a song last weekend with a big bunch of synths, fx and also a big mastering chain and there was still room for more stuff. SO the performance is ok for me. But ofc there are a few heavy beasts and there are some odd things like sudden crackles and i am sure they can be improved and i am also sure, they will be improved in future. At first VST, and second the RE.
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

29 Oct 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
22 Oct 2018
Its about being creative (for me anyways) and getting a sound/idea/ sequence down fast. without having to stop and go ... crap i have to bounce this section to audio (which dosn't solve the issue) and this means not being able to change/manipulate/morph this idea as i progress ....cause i cant really progress it they way i could perhaps in anpther daw.
Its about being able to set up a modest template (that dosn't take up 4 dsp bars before a note is struck) and yes you can bounce synths to audio but some of us want to be able to play those synths in a live performance scenario along with other stuff thats capable of being improvised and manipilated live so were not standing there pressing space bar and twiddling the filter cut-off.
I hadn't considered this much as I've always had a decent computer and these issues haven't affected me. This is a good explanation of the problem.

electricthing

29 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Man, I love Hydelide's videos when he talks about devices, sound design, CV tricks, does music tutorials, etc. but videos like this latest one make me feel uneasy. His delivery coupled with that maniacal, nervous laughter make me feel like he's on brink of some mental breakdown.
This was what I was trying to say

electricthing

29 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Oct 2018

I have a lot of respect for the guy for his knowledge, passion and dedication and will continue to watch his stuff regardless of what he decides next, but that's just not the way to get around those things. Be concrete, analytical and precise.
Well put.

electricthing

29 Oct 2018

Oquasec wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Something like Reason 7 for example, was a huge leap in terms of how it handled plugins inside & outside of reason.
(Like being able to control any external plugin without rewire using reason piano roll & automation)
Can you tell me how do you 'control any external plugin without rewire using reason piano roll & automation'?

antic604

29 Oct 2018

electricthing wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Oquasec wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Can you tell me how do you 'control any external plugin without rewire using reason piano roll & automation'?
I'm using Reason since v10 so haven't tried it personally, but I think there's an "old method" using MIDI loopback as described here: https://www.reasonexperts.com/vst-in-re ... d%20Method

scratchnsnifff

29 Oct 2018

Did that last video confuse anyone else? He kept going from When they revoke my license to
So they definitely revoked my license?

Can one get their license revoked for saying they will expose some sort of bug?
I mean tons of us have talked about the combinator input text bug? Is this different because it deals with the actual lines of coding? Even then. I haven’t seen him mention anything except for an explanation of what the term engine is. Is that really enough to boot someone off the platform?

This entire thing feels like a mix between the stuff that Happened with Alex Jones, and the Tupac vs biggie beef
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

stephensmattlee

29 Oct 2018

I don’t really understand what’s happened here or did I miss something? Think it’s a little harsh for Props to revoke his licence when all he’s done is put up a few incoherent rambling videos about his lack of faith in Reason improving with VST performance and saying he can’t go into any details because it would violate the ULA.

Would be a different story if he uploaded a video showing the programs code and the reasons why he believes what he does but surely it’s a little extreme to revoke a licence just from rambling and complaining about the VST performance and saying he can’t go into details because of it violating the ULA?

Would be good to hear something official from the Props themselves on the progress with the performance update and at the same time squashing any speculation brought up by these videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antic604

29 Oct 2018

stephensmattlee wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Would be good to hear something official from the Props themselves on the progress with the performance update and at the same time squashing any speculation brought up by these videos.
Well, notice that Hydelide speaks about general performance, incl. native devices and REs and actually I kinda agree there - I don't mind VST performance as much, since they constitute 5-10% of the devices in my projects. I've not bought Reason to use VSTs, because I can do that in my other DAWs.

I'd rather an explanation why - while having hyperthreading ON - my 4th core is basically idle (the meter under "loop" transport icon:

Oquasec

29 Oct 2018

electricthing wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Oquasec wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Reason 7+ exclusive feature https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... ernal-midi
"Control any plugin format you can think of whether it be AAX/VST/AU/RE with this handy dandy Module"
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

chimp_spanner

29 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Oct 2018
stephensmattlee wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Well, notice that Hydelide speaks about general performance, incl. native devices and REs and actually I kinda agree there - I don't mind VST performance as much, since they constitute 5-10% of the devices in my projects. I've not bought Reason to use VSTs, because I can do that in my other DAWs.

I'd rather an explanation why - while having hyperthreading ON - my 4th core is basically idle (the meter under "loop" transport icon:

Hey that’s a cool utility, what’s it called?

Hyper threading is weird. From my own experience I find that the smaller the project, the more it harms performance. Like I’ll load in superior 3 to a blank project and wonder why it’s chopping up. Turn off HT Amd everything is fine. But later on when the project is busy and struggling, I turn it on and get 2-3 bars back.

It’s dark magic I tell you!

antic604

29 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Hey that’s a cool utility, what’s it called?
XMeters and it's free for personal use:
https://entropy6.com/xmeters/

PhillipOrdonez

29 Oct 2018

So they revoked his license. Did he break the EULA?

Anyway, why not wait for the update? why create unnecessary drama and risk losing his license before the actual update is released? He could well have waited a little more with all this. Does he think he is some sort of saviour or something?

If I thought I could thrive more on a different platform, I would move to it. Reason and the REs Ive purchased will be there for me too, going back to the days of using it as a rewire slave. Though that scenario is not one I see happening in the foreseeable future.

bxbrkrz

29 Oct 2018

If your Reason license has been revoked can you still open and save your lifelong massive amount of .reason files?
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

EnochLight

29 Oct 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Oct 2018
If your Reason license has been revoked can you still open and save your lifelong massive amount of .reason files?
In demo mode, you can only save projects - not open. But his lifelong massive amount of *.reason files won't go anywhere unless he deletes them.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bxbrkrz

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Oct 2018
In demo mode, you can only save projects - not open. But his lifelong massive amount of *.reason files won't go anywhere unless he deletes them, which, let's face it - being the drama queen that he is - that just might happen. :lol:
So he cannot open his files moving forward, or he can get a new license under a new ID? Remotely killing your access to part of your virtual cave. Scary. Imagine if Adobe would've done the same. Can't believe it.
There was a private matter in his life not too long ago that could have been devastated to anyone here. As commented earlier the look he has on that video is not good. Some people, after a bad personal event, end up doing irrational things. Short term it seems revoking his license was a good move, and a good laugh for some. Long term, with someone with 'issues', this may not be the best game theory strategy for a well known company. The image of David Vs Goliath will be in everybody's mind. It is never a good thing to be perceived as Goliath. Perception, sadly, is reality.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Jagwah

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Oct 2018
In demo mode, you can only save projects - not open. But his lifelong massive amount of *.reason files won't go anywhere unless he deletes them.
What would happen to someone's Rack Extensions in this case?

jam-s

29 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Oct 2018

That's because Reason is reserving one core for GUI drawing/updates and background tasks like time-stretching. To me the hints Hydlide gave point to this: THe Props seem to have implemented a custom task scheduler/dispatcher for Reason and this custom implementation seems to have issues with message overhead for inter task communication (possibly related to the LUA engine that's used for Remote codecs).

EnochLight

29 Oct 2018

Jagwah wrote:
29 Oct 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018

What would happen to someone's Rack Extensions in this case?
In this case, all RE's used in your projects are saved in your project. But if he no longer has a Reason license, he can't access purchased RE's without getting a Reason license.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information