SSD DRIVE FINALY!!!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marc64

25 Mar 2015

I have finaly ordered a 250GB SSD and I am very excited to try it out on loading speed with all my 90+GB refills :)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2015

I just bought the second for my studio PC! :)

I have a 140 GB for the OS, and this 240 GB for ongoing projects, both kingston. Great stuff projects load instantly, whatever kind they are!

stratatonic

25 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:I just bought the second for my studio PC! :)

I have a 140 GB for the OS, and this 240 GB for ongoing projects, both kingston.
I have heard that for OS, software and for samples, an SSD is great.
But saving/resaving projects and constantly read/write/rewriting is not good for an SSD, as it wears down prematurely. Have things changed in this regard?

C//AZM

25 Mar 2015

I have heard that for OS, software and for samples, an SSD is great.
But saving/resaving projects and constantly read/write/rewriting is not good for an SSD, as it wears down prematurely. Have things changed in this regard?
I've heard the same thing but I've also read that SSDs are getting better. Dunno if the situation has changed enough though. I've found many of the people at Other World computing to be very helpful. Asking them any stupid question has helped me make my choices.

In my home studio, I've installed the OWC dual drive chasiss and I'm running two drives. At first, I was using two SSD drives but now I went back to the original drive for songs and libraries and the SSD for OS and Applications. This has been working fine for me.

The other drive is now in the family 27" imac doing OS and application duty there.

dhruan

25 Mar 2015

Best of the current drives can handle an insane amount of reads/writes (Samsung 840 Pro biting the dust at around 2.4 PB...) > http://techreport.com/review/27909/the- ... e-all-dead

Thinking of getting either that or the 850 Pro for my aging Mac Pro (early 2008), should spruce things up a bit ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

phasys

25 Mar 2015

I upgraded my laptop (Asus N750JK-T4068H omfg 1337 turbo intercooler epic overclocking of doom) with an SSD a while ago and the difference is so staggering that I can't believe that I didn't upgrade before (on my desktop computer). On the other hand, I know exactly why I didn't upgrade, because I didn't have the budget for an SSD since I came out of unemployment after being laid off. :D

Anyway, the difference is just like I'm saying, staggering. I simply installed the SSD and reinstalled Windows, using the old slow 5400 rpm POS as a second drive where my programs and games reside on and it runs so much faster. It boots in what, 13 to 14 seconds, including pressing the power button and the POST test. Can't imagine what it's like if you also run your refills and samples from there, I haven't touched Reason in months so I wouldn't know really. But again, the difference is huge and everybody should get one in their laptop. Having an i7 laptop with a slow 5400 rpm drive doesn't make any sense at all. Except if you can get a great deal for the laptop and just whip in the SSD later, like I did. I'm using a Samsung 250 btw (250gb).

EnochLight

25 Mar 2015

phasys wrote:I upgraded my laptop (Asus N750JK-T4068H omfg 1337 turbo intercooler epic overclocking of doom) with an SSD a while ago and the difference is so staggering that I can't believe that I didn't upgrade before (on my desktop computer). On the other hand, I know exactly why I didn't upgrade, because I didn't have the budget for an SSD since I came out of unemployment after being laid off. :D

Anyway, the difference is just like I'm saying, staggering. I simply installed the SSD and reinstalled Windows, using the old slow 5400 rpm POS as a second drive where my programs and games reside on and it runs so much faster. It boots in what, 13 to 14 seconds, including pressing the power button and the POST test. Can't imagine what it's like if you also run your refills and samples from there, I haven't touched Reason in months so I wouldn't know really. But again, the difference is huge and everybody should get one in their laptop. Having an i7 laptop with a slow 5400 rpm drive doesn't make any sense at all. Except if you can get a great deal for the laptop and just whip in the SSD later, like I did. I'm using a Samsung 250 btw (250gb).
It's faster because of all the hyperthread'n...   :D

Attachments
Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-poker-45046.png
Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-poker-45046.png (458.02 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

25 Mar 2015

Ha ha!

SSD is sick. There isn't any other way to put it. It's almost as important as getting your first microwave. You'll wonder how you ever lived w/o it.

reason2dance

28 Mar 2015

Marc64 wrote:I have finaly ordered a 250GB SSD and I am very excited to try it out on loading speed with all my 90+GB refills :)
I still wonder why computer companies could fool us with the stupid MHz race for so long.

In the end it was the conventional hard drive, which decelerated us brutally on system level all along...

clone

29 Mar 2015

Is this an external or internal hard drive? 

I think my older bro told me about this but wasn't sure what he was talking about?

phasys

30 Mar 2015

reason2dance wrote: I still wonder why computer companies could fool us with the stupid MHz race for so long.

In the end it was the conventional hard drive, which decelerated us brutally on system level all along...
That's just silly. Systems nowadays do a lot more with swapping and virtual RAM, so nowadays a harddisk really slows down the system. Also, programs get bigger and bigger so disks need to load more.

A few years back the biggest problems was RAM and CPU bottlenecks. It's a very simple matter of analyzing your system (or let someone else do it) and see where the bottlenecks are. A slow computer with the fastest SSD drive is equally worthless.

Jmax

07 Apr 2015

Can't wait to get my SSD in.  I bought a 250gb Kingston.  Even with 16 gig ram and a very fast chip I was finding that some of my refills primarily Kinetic Energy and ones with huge combinators were giving me bleeps and noises due to cpu overload.  Also if my project got to huge.  Had this problem as well in Ableton load big VST's.  I'm not however looking forward to reinstalling my soundcards, drivers, virtual DJ, all refills and VST's organizing everything that will take about a week.  LOL

jappe

07 Apr 2015

SSD is the cure for many years of deliberate PC speed crippling.
Finally PCs can compete in bootup speed with the 48Kb RAM Sinclair Spectrum from the blessed eighties.

phasys

08 Apr 2015

jappe wrote:SSD is the cure for many years of deliberate PC speed crippling. Finally PCs can compete in bootup speed with the 48Kb RAM Sinclair Spectrum from the blessed eighties.
My DOS based PC from 1993 booted up just as quick.

zakalwe

08 Apr 2015

yep, i got a vertex 4 when the prices became non-ridiculous several years ago and haven't looked back.  no more page files churning for days.

chimp_spanner

17 Apr 2015

Is anyone here using a hybrid SSHD? I've got an optical drive conversion bay for my Lenovo Z500 i7 laptop (which is utterly crippled by its in-built 5400rpm hdd) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. I was thinking of 2x1TB SSHDs; one for OS + apps + libraries, the other purely for data. Or I could go SSD for apps and SSHD for data but I'd be limited on space. Argh. 

EnochLight

17 Apr 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:Is anyone here using a hybrid SSHD? I've got an optical drive conversion bay for my Lenovo Z500 i7 laptop (which is utterly crippled by its in-built 5400rpm hdd) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. I was thinking of 2x1TB SSHDs; one for OS + apps + libraries, the other purely for data. Or I could go SSD for apps and SSHD for data but I'd be limited on space. Argh. 
IMHO, having a hybrid drive just invites more parts to fail.  That said, the manufacturer's MTBF rating and warranty should be taken into consideration.  I'd read some reviews to see how they perform, also.

I like the idea, though.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

17 Apr 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:Is anyone here using a hybrid SSHD? I've got an optical drive conversion bay for my Lenovo Z500 i7 laptop (which is utterly crippled by its in-built 5400rpm hdd) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. I was thinking of 2x1TB SSHDs; one for OS + apps + libraries, the other purely for data. Or I could go SSD for apps and SSHD for data but I'd be limited on space. Argh. 
EnochLight wrote:
IMHO, having a hybrid drive just invites more parts to fail.  That said, the manufacturer's MTBF rating and warranty should be taken into consideration.  I'd read some reviews to see how they perform, also.

I like the idea, though.  
Yeah I hear that. I mean, even though it's a laptop based setup it's actually largely stationary. In fact the main reason I got it was because it puts out less electro-magnetic noise than a tower, which is great for recording guitar. But yeah I'll do some research. I mean SSHD's are cheap. I could potentially get 2x1TB's for about 120 quid. But my dad has SSD in a couple of his machines and the sample loading time is just...enviable haha.

QVprod

17 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:

I like the idea, though.  
chimp_spanner wrote:
Yeah I hear that. I mean, even though it's a laptop based setup it's actually largely stationary. In fact the main reason I got it was because it puts out less electro-magnetic noise than a tower, which is great for recording guitar. But yeah I'll do some research. I mean SSHD's are cheap. I could potentially get 2x1TB's for about 120 quid. But my dad has SSD in a couple of his machines and the sample loading time is just...enviable haha.
I've had a Seagate hybrid drive in my 2010 mbp for about 3 years now. Works great, no issues. It's nowhere near an SSD though, but substantially better than a 5400rpm drive. 

• Information