I think its time to bundle our minds

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
hydlide

15 Feb 2015

I'll just throw up a ball here and I'll see who is willing to pick it up. The issue here, as I have been asked about a lot lately, is that there are a lot of "individuals" doing their own thing. Personally, I am not saying that this is a wrong thing.

When I look at the current community, and the way it is build up: it is build up by single individuals doing their own thing, with different interests and so on.

However when I look at the community, there is one thing we have in common (hence the term community existed), we share a common interest and that is the product called "Reason". Sure there are side tracks like discover / Take / Figure. But what eventually brought us here was that product called Reason.

So we agree on this? Good...

The issue here is that some reason users like cats, other like to discuss modular synthesis and others like to talk about their daily thing while doing their job thing or try to sell their own product. The main problem with this, is that we have so many different sub-interests and we loose sight in our own way of life and try to put our own thoughts out on the internet.

All I am trying to say right now, maybe we can find a common ground and bundle our forces together and actually act like a community to get things done!

Just a few thoughts:
Lets build a community refill.
Some thread out here already suggested it. However, it just remained as a thought like "lets do this", and after this, the thought just dropped like a rock. All I am saying right now, LETS DO THIS! Lets bundle our forces together and set up a dropbox for a group of people to make an awesome refill. It only requires installing a dropbox client and share the public folder for other people to contribute (just throwing in the idea here).

Why doesn't reasontalk.com exist on youtube?
So, we have some excelent minds all together. Why not bundle those minds and make the best epic reason tutorials out there. Want me to join, no problem, I can upload my stuff to you. Its that simple. Others can do the same. I am not saying that I should just do, but make it a reasontalk community effort. Since we are the community and we are making things happening right now!

Podcasts
Just a different side track i'll do here. Can we, as a community do a podcast? I mean all it takes is a skype conversation to set one up. It requires a few topics to discuss and we can just talk while being a family discussing different subjects and record it as a radio show. While this is taking place we can discuss with people that are not a part of the podcast and at the same time let them be a part of it (thinking ustream here for instance). Its a win win... kind of like the MMM, but then just an RT event.

I am just a messenger and I would like you to think about the possibilities here.

joeyluck

16 Feb 2015

If you're talking about the thread I started, we are in the works of creating a community involved ReasonTalk.com Rack Extension for the shop. So, no ball dropped (just yet)—just getting all the ducks in a row before beginning/recharging the community effort.

Our purpose is to make something cool, but the overall purpose of that initiative is to draw more future users to ReasonTalk (by having a product in the shop to raise awareness).

However, as I mentioned in the other thread—the only way to get a ReFill in the shop is to have it be a paid ReFill (seems to be the case currently). A RE could be free and would be in the shop. It's not decided yet if it would be free or something like $9 (to help fund the site), but if we tackle an IDT RE—that can be decided later. And folks (shopping) seem to be more excited and drawn to REs (bigger attention grabber).

But anywho... All that aside... ReFills would be awesome! I think Charly headed up the holiday ReFills in the PUF? I feel like it would be a natural thing to continue the community ReFills here for the purpose of bringing folks together and making cool stuff. It could be offered to folks in the 'outside world,' but this place seems to be the Reason online 'world' right now (aside from the Propellerhead Shop and Facebook page).

Gaja

16 Feb 2015

I think you're right.
I co tributed to the XMas 2014 Refill, and it was great fun to work on it. But also I only made some patches and didn't have to organize all the folders to make the Refill... I'd love to contribute, but unfortunately I have too much work on my hands to be able to organize such an undertaking.
Maybe Charly would be up for it once more? Or FGL?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

normen

16 Feb 2015

Aww yiss, "Seligs Place" akin to "Pensados Place" :D

Lunesis

16 Feb 2015

Or maybe a "Normen's Nook"?  :s0221:   :s0801:   :s0403:

Lunesis

16 Feb 2015

So what do you suggest for the refill guys? Anything special?

Lunesis

16 Feb 2015

Organic sounds, you mean like sounds with lots of movement over a period of time?

jfrichards

16 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:So what do you suggest for the refill guys? Anything special?
From a needs point of view, I certainly need one for Shape and one for guitars.  Combinators and patches.

tibah

16 Feb 2015

I like the idea of a podcast, like a general talk round with changing members and a subject to discuss about or just share ideas really. Of course we are from various time zones and a lot of non-native English speakers, myself included, but I would like to participate. :)

Organic sounds - interesting as well. Funny how different people are. I would think about sounds that e.g. are acoustic in their true nature, but have been mangled to a more synthesized sound, while still remaining that organic/natural core or music made with computers that doesn't sound like that at all.

jfrichards

16 Feb 2015

I would be willing to work with the people who contributed to the kong momentary thread to put together 10 to 20 combinator patches for this:

And they could go into a ReasonTalk refill.
Attachments
RTMPC16_ad.jpg
RTMPC16_ad.jpg (301.62 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:Organic sounds, you mean like sounds with lots of movement over a period of time?
Ohhh, I can make those for days - one day I'll even build my ideal synth for such sounds…

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

pushedbutton

16 Feb 2015

hydlide wrote:...
Just a few thoughts:
Lets build a community refill.
I'd really love some help with the ToyBocs Refill project if anyone wants to contribute to it.
http://www.reasontalk.com/post/toyshop- ... 1286077687

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Lunesis

16 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:Organic sounds, you mean like sounds with lots of movement over a period of time?
selig wrote:
Ohhh, I can make those for days - one day I'll even build my ideal synth for such sounds…

;)
...Oh really? ;)

hydlide

16 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:If you're talking about the thread I started, we are in the works of creating a community involved ReasonTalk.com Rack Extension for the shop. So, no ball dropped (just yet)—just getting all the ducks in a row before beginning/recharging the community effort.
Actually, I didn't mention Rack extension in the initial post. Its a follow up on series of mail conversations we did. But I am already glad it is a start :)
Lunesis wrote: So what do you suggest for the refill guys? Anything special?
If I would have to take a pick here, ehm... lets swap lottery numbers out of the hat, I would type in the word "live performance patches". Just because they can be cool for quick song starters maybe?

The only issue that could become a problem here (if I think out loud) is that if its going to be "Rack Extension" specific then it might be lacking the amount of possible contributors / users here. So my best bet would be using stock devices.
This allows more people to contribute to it, without having to many "missing devices" issues and everyone could pick it up and play.
An effect refill could work too. There aren't that many out there (only one I can remember are the Filter Research refills). Since these days combinators can be exchanged inside insert effects (since reason 6). Call it your unique RT.com stompbox collection if you will.

And if it needs to be Rack Extension oriented, then I would advice it to keep it focussing on "that" specific device (lets say "the parsec refill", or Shape refill,  just a suggestion). Yet the combinators can then still use all the stock devices like reverbs, delays, effects, thors routings and so on.
Another safe bet would be making it "samples" only. Since it only requires NN-XTs/ NN19/ Rex or Kong. I recently saw a topic about "Analog synths". There are a lot of free wav libraries that contain Arps, Korgs MS20 (http://machines.hyperreal.org/samples.html for instance) and this could be mapped in an NN-XT section. Or record some VSTs and export those as Wav Files.

Since your asking, I am just throwing in suggestions / ideas here.
Is it special? Not sure, but at least it may give the community to work on something. Be productive and share the final result as a big bwem. And it might help giving the site some more exposure.
Sure, it takes time, patience and so on... Like a project "we" have been involved in that started around the 1st of april 2014 (last year). I am not saying it has to extend that long, but I think that "we" as a community can most likely put something together in less time.

Only thing it may require is planning it, see who can contribute with that specific project, some dedication to the project and calculate the target / release date for it.
If you have other suggestions, please post them.

joeyluck

16 Feb 2015

hydlide wrote:
joeyluck wrote:If you're talking about the thread I started, we are in the works of creating a community involved ReasonTalk.com Rack Extension for the shop. So, no ball dropped (just yet)—just getting all the ducks in a row before beginning/recharging the community effort.
hydlide wrote: Actually, I didn't mention Rack extension in the initial post. Its a follow up on series of mail conversations we did. But I am already glad it is a start :)
Gotcha. Yeah the thread I had going was a poll between ReFill or RE. A majority (small) voted for RE.  But of course, there's plenty of interest in both :)   Not many people voted or chimed in...

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/should-w ... ll-7268429

Raveshaper

17 Feb 2015

hydlide wrote: If I would have to take a pick here, ehm... lets swap lottery numbers out of the hat, I would type in the word "live performance patches". Just because they can be cool for quick song starters maybe?
Excellent idea, Hydlide.

I just finished building a very ambitious template file for performing live and while I was able to accomplish things I didn't think Reason could do, I have run into the problem of hardware-specific implementation. By that I mean other users would either need the same controller for it to work for them hassle-free, or they would need to do a lot of legwork to modify the extensive MIDI mappings so that their particular setup is optimized for it.

I would be very interested in participating in a project aimed at live performance, although I am completely self-taught and lack a lot of the jargon and technical understanding behind some of the things I have built. It would be an apprenticeship for me, as well as a lot of fun.

While I'm on the subject, I'll give a brief overview of my template.

I got tired of spending so much time meticulously working on notes and drawing things in by hand. I wanted a tool I could use to write quickly by improvising on my Maschine Mk2 and I wanted to be able to prepare snippets of song ideas in Rex format that I could then manipulate and remix as a way of fleshing out the rest of the track's structure. Most important, I wanted to play my music live with room to be completely creative.

I don't own any outboard gear, so I decided to emulate it inside of Reason instead. The entire setup runs with only 2 bars of DSP on my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro without samples loaded. A little heavy, but very light for what it has. With practice now that this file is completed, I will be able to make tracks "on the fly" and perform powerful and expressive effects over the top of loops or pre-sequenced sections in a live setting.

The features I built into the template are as follows:
- Virtual 2 Deck DJ setup
- Ability to layer up to 4 sounds on both decks, up to 8 sounds using only 1 deck
- Crossfader
- Cue mix for sound auditioning (requires multichannel audio interface with assignable Headphone Mix)
- 7 Effects routed in series, can be assigned to either deck or both decks
- Hybrid sweepable filter; 0 to 64 = low pass, 64 to 127 = high pass
- Toggle buttons for all effects for punch into wet/out to dry
- Audio bleed for effects chain inside main crossfader mix
- Dual function rotary input system for effects with switchable, nondestructive parameter focus (allows 8 knobs to do the job of 16 knobs with 2 independent parameters per knob)
- Global note repeat with rotary controlled variable rate and optional pressure sensitive mode dedicated to each deck
- Realtime "vinyl style" Dr. OctoRex playback (pitchbends audio to perfectly match tempo between 30 and 480 BPM with default playback at 120 BPM, bypass switch to toggle between 120 BPM and the variable tempo speed)
- All control changes and 8 channels of notes fully recordable in real time
- Audio capture track for live recording of the output ***
*** = when changing tempo, you must preserve the transport track's automation lane to hear changes in tempo and export to a new audio file unless you want some really weird playback effects

- Everything 100% stock devices, no REs required.

In case it's confusing what I meant about the dual function rotary input system, it's basically a clever way to turn off a knob but store its last known position in memory, then use the stored value to only allow the knob to turn on again once it reaches the stored value again. By using a pair of knobs that are shared by a rotary on a combinator, it is possible to establish two separate persistent parameter values that are not broken when toggling between the two with a button state.

I guess that's sort of a CV of my skills thus far. But like I said, I am completely self taught, so I would need to work at my vocabulary to be able to teach others based on my efforts.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

@gaja ând @joeyluck (and the other guys) : if you guys want to do a refill I am all ready for it , I can make a team up and have this running in no time .

we could rather do just a ReasonTalk Refill or maybe do a something for easter ?!?!

a good refilll got loops , samples , synth patch's , combinators instruments and FX but do we need a reason to make it ?

it would be funny to get our zoom's and recorders outside and make a big sample pack yes but I would think the material should be used in nnxt's and other moduless to be more usable and more fun IMO .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Gaja

18 Feb 2015

I think it would be great, charly.
Maybe easter is a good deadline, so we still have some 40 days to create something. I have some singing bowl samples ready. Maybe I could create some nnxts or combinators with them. Also I think I'm able to contribute a couple of swing guitar loops and some templates for true stereo synth in Thor, and the like...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Lunesis

18 Feb 2015

I probably have someone that can do podcasts.. I am in talks about that right now.

Lunesis

18 Feb 2015

hydlide wrote: Sure, it takes time, patience and so on... Like a project "we" have been involved in that started around the 1st of april 2014 (last year). I am not saying it has to extend that long, but I think that "we" as a community can most likely put something together in less time. 

Only thing it may require is planning it, see who can contribute with that specific project, some dedication to the project and calculate the target / release date for it.
If you have other suggestions, please post them.
I am thinking something like three months would be a nice wide net for people who are busy but eventually get around to it. There's really no rush and, the more patches the better. It is possible now that I have been accepted as an RE dev to include all of the sounds into an IDT device and put it up for free on the Propellerhead shop. Of course, I guess I would need some kind of interface.

Hmm... who is really good at designing interfaces?  :?
Oh yeah, I could just get JP or Selig to do it!  :idea:

Oh wait, I think they both hire out to Pitchblende.. :D

We could also make a refill for people who want to tweak and put the link on the RE's page. Anyways, we'll think of something cool. I really like the idea of organic, live sounds. Would be really inspirational, or a good as song starters. Let me think about this a bit more, and let me know if you guys have any more ideas.

MDTerps2015

18 Feb 2015

I keep seeing this in threads, but can someone explain to me what momentary pads are ???????? 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Raveshaper

18 Feb 2015

Momentary pads should actually be called momentary samples. The word momentary means that the sample plays as long as the pad is held down, then immediately stops playing when the pad is released.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information