Search found 3347 matches

by normen
Yesterday
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Yesterday
I hate a perfect fifth, which sound less funky than an "out of tune" equal temperament fifth.
I find it funny that you go on about the 5th, which is the one that is the least out of tune in pretty much all the tunings.
by normen
Yesterday
Forum: VST Plugins
Topic: UAD Plugins not working (
Replies: 6
Views: 205

Re: UAD Plugins not working (

Don‘t use them. Reason runs all plugins at 64 samples buffer size for various reasons and UAD plugins hate that, you can even see that in the UAD meter.
by normen
20 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

Ahornberg wrote:
20 Aug 2018
Now the situation is, that neither Reason, nor any other DAW provide an easy access to tunings beyond this 12 tone equal system.
Huh? Logic allows you to tune the whole DAW to any of a HUGE list of classical and modern tunings.
by normen
20 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Aug 2018
if you push the minor to a major, it is still good.
Well yeah, many - especially classically trained - musicians only seem to hear "major, minor or blues" these days, kinda sad. It all went away for the sake of key changes.
by normen
20 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Aug 2018
And with the minor third a little up, like in blues, it's fan-tas-tic imo.
How much "little" is is very important there - it can transform the whole scale and music completely :)
by normen
20 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

Wat? The 5th is pretty much the only thing thats "correct" in the usual western scale and the same as in a pythagorean scale - which I assume you mean when you say "perfect" outside of the term "perfect fifth"? The scale that actually happens when you divide the string. That fifth is the only thing...
by normen
19 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

I must say a perfect fifth doesn’t sound so perfect to me. But I understand why the flat 5 interval (devil’s interval, major 3rd to a flatted 7) sounds better when the interval is wider which is why in blues the minor 3rd is pitched upwards Wat? The 5th is pretty much the only thing thats "correct"...
by normen
19 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)
Replies: 38
Views: 560

Re: Our western harmonic system explained in a simple way (I hope)

my 2 cents :puf_bigsmile: Our modern western system divides the octave into 12 equal steps: One octave equals 1200 cents. One semitone equals 100 cents. A major third equals 400 cents. A pure fifth equals 700 cents. A minor seventh equals 1000 cents. But in the overtone series, these values show up...
by normen
07 Aug 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: The 6 dB of Headroom for Mastering Myth Explained
Replies: 23
Views: 1024

Re: The 6 dB of Headroom for Mastering Myth Explained

No, I was just referring to the article and the "myth" that you should leave xx dB of headroom. [emoji1] There ARE good reasons IMO to leave some headroom when exporting a mix for mastering - not sure how any of this is a “myth” unless one believes it somehow sounds better with more headroom than l...
by normen
05 Aug 2018
Forum: Reason General
Topic: Reason with hardware sequencer
Replies: 3
Views: 346

Re: Reason with hardware sequencer

You got an answer but didn't bother to ask about points you didn't understand or even reply yourself at all. What do you expect people to do this time? Hope that their answer is good enough for you? - Not mad, seriously interested if you think thats a good way to get somewhere. You're kind of making...
by normen
03 Aug 2018
Forum: VST Plugins
Topic: Looking for Pad VST plugins
Replies: 21
Views: 604

Re: Looking for Pad VST plugins

Thanks for all the replies. I want to use VST coz Reason allows me to. And like I said, I am not good at designing sound. So I want to have as much Pad sounds as possible. Coz I love Pad sounds. :) But theres a plethora of patches for Reason, then theres a plethora of REs. Why have the additional w...
by normen
03 Aug 2018
Forum: VST Plugins
Topic: Looking for Pad VST plugins
Replies: 21
Views: 604

Re: Looking for Pad VST plugins

Seriously, if you just want "Pad" then why in the WORLD would you look for a VST when you intend to use Reason anyway? Thats like incomprehensible to me.
by normen
31 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason General
Topic: Audio to Midi not pitched?
Replies: 7
Views: 568

Re: Audio to Midi not pitched?

Theres a patch for Neptune in the FSB that allows you to play CV/Note based instruments with it. hi normen! sorry to reply to such an old post. i had a quick try of neptune to see if i could work out what you meant but no i couldnt get it, i dont think you can load patches into neptune? or i could ...
by normen
31 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason General
Topic: Latency/ Sound Quality
Replies: 5
Views: 230

Re: Latency/ Sound Quality

In Reason it's no because all plugins always run at 64 samples internally. In other DAWs you *can* actually get sound differences with different buffer sizes because the algorithms simply might have to do things differently with less data at once. It's almost always corner cases though. But no diffe...
by normen
25 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason General
Topic: Strange occurences in Reason 10.1.2d1: MIDI CC#11 Causing Massive DSP Spikes with Kontakt's Session Horns Pro
Replies: 3
Views: 136

Re: Strange occurences in Reason 10.1.2d1: MIDI CC#11 Causing Massive DSP Spikes with Kontakt's Session Horns Pro

Maybe try that instrument standalone with 64 samples buffer size, might also be a bug in the instrument thats only relevant when using such low roundtrip times. If the instrument for some dumb reason waits just 1 millisecond each buffer then that won't even register on the DSP meter at 512 samples b...
by normen
23 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason Feature Requests
Topic: Propellerhead should improve search performance of folders containing Refills and other audio files.
Replies: 40
Views: 3190

Re: Propellerhead should improve search performance of folders containing Refills and other audio files.

Dunno if you can consider a system-wide databank that has information on all files and file changes a "baseline" when comparing to a search that apparently actually goes through all files to find the right ones. Reason can't know about external changes, thats why it looks through all files. So I gu...
by normen
23 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason Feature Requests
Topic: Propellerhead should improve search performance of folders containing Refills and other audio files.
Replies: 40
Views: 3190

Re: Propellerhead should improve search performance of folders containing Refills and other audio files.

We start by running the search first in Windows 10 Explorer to get a baseline... Dunno if you can consider a system-wide databank that has information on all files and file changes a "baseline" when comparing to a search that apparently actually goes through all files to find the right ones. Reason...
by normen
22 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason General
Topic: Would this be possible to code?
Replies: 2
Views: 222

Re: Would this be possible to code?

Sure but probably actually *loading* the device doesn't that that much time, much more applying the settings, loading samples etc. so I guess it wouldn't result in much of a performance gain. But if you did that you'd introduce a lot of relatively complicated code that on top of that depends on a lo...
by normen
22 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason Music
Topic: Basislager - Die Wahrheit
Replies: 14
Views: 362

Re: Basislager - Die Wahrheit

Love the sound. Not really my kind of music but the mix makes a lot of sense to me. Doesn't really "copy" any sound style - like most people would probably have used larger rooms for this kind of music but you didn't or chose not to. Really nice depth staging with great presence for the synths up fr...
by normen
20 Jul 2018
Forum: Reason General
Topic: Thank you Propellerhead for giving us Reason.
Replies: 19
Views: 1004

Re: Thank you Propellerhead for giving us Reason.

SoulState wrote:
20 Jul 2018
It's always good to remind oneself of the good things one has in life...and :reason: Reason Is definitely on that list.


Cheers Propellerheads
This.
by normen
19 Jul 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Random audio trivia of the day
Replies: 36
Views: 860

Re: Random audio trivia of the day

When processing audio most DAWs and plugins are using a higher bit depth version of the audio, for example 32bit or 64bit. This is because when you do processing on the audio data your algorithms might create intermediate values that are so big or small that they can actually pull up quantization n...
by normen
19 Jul 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Random audio trivia of the day
Replies: 36
Views: 860

Re: Random audio trivia of the day

However, my question is this: is this merely bringing the thread back on topic or is it directed toward the previous comments that you’ve seen in the thread? I just post random audio trivia here. Inspiration are the forum, real life, the interwebs and a big white bunny that apparently only I can se...
by normen
19 Jul 2018
Forum: Tutorials and Techniques
Topic: Random audio trivia of the day
Replies: 36
Views: 860

Re: Random audio trivia of the day

The bit depth of audio data defines it's dynamic range, the sampling rate defines the highest frequency that can be captured, there is no other quality differences.

This video explains best why that is so: